Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin 45

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  dinger 
#1 ·
just HAD to drop a note about this guy here on the forum, wow! what a fabricator, I needed a tubing straightner, he contacted me and built me a most awesome tool, it was a little more than the one at eastwood but wow, works flawlessly, no glitches at all, and a man of his word too- told me he would get right on it, and he did!

#3 ·
It was me that made it and it's made with Delrin rollers with dual roller bearings on each roller, and the top two rollers are adjustable. The backing plate is aluminum, and there is a piece of angle at the bottom that you can either bolt to the edge of a bench or fasten it in a vise. It will run 3/16" to 1/2" diameter tubing.

Attachments

#6 ·
I never knew that most people that bought coils tubing in bulk bought it already flared. I guess if that was explained to me, I could have adjusted for that and still can if I get it back. After doing some research I found that a lot of the straighteners are made out of Delrin to prevent scratching and to allow the tubing if it is a little off on the diameter to fit down into the formed slot. But that's bad on my part for not pointing that out I guess. I guess I should have also asked how much spacing was needed between the back indentation and the backing plate.

I never have heard whether it worked as far as straightening out a tube or not though. Tinman.....did it straighten the tubing out?

#7 ·
kevin45

hi although new here I am a fabricator from way back, I would think it common sense to know that when you buy tubing from a auto store it has flares and fittings on it-- suppose you misbent it and wanted to straighten it out ? most people do not want to cut off the factory flare ends on a piece of tubing- some people are perhaps beginners and do not have the equipment to flare their own tubing? or suppose in the case of a roll of tubing you misbent it AFTER you flared it- or needed to reroute it after you installed it in your project and needed to again straighten it out?

#8 · (Edited)
Jeese guys.... The piece Kevin made is for STRAIGHTENING coiled brake and fuel line... That's all it is designed to do. As far as I know coiled tubing does NOT have any flares on it when purchased. Running the tube into the fixture will not be a problem. You straighten the tube, cut it to length THEN bend and flare it...
There are dedicated tube BENDERS that should be used when making bends for ROUTING fuel and brake lines. This tool is not intended for that purpose.
Kevin, you set me straight if I am going off on a tangent here, I don't think I am though...
Mark

#9 ·
sounds like someone is in love with kevin? so its unheard of to try and straighten a piece of tubing AFTER it has a flare?
so what don't you get?- so if I go to say a auto store buy a piece of tubing that has flares and mis bend it, need to straighten it this tool is worthless for that is what you are saying? pretty specialized piece 1- use only? I am not saying this is for flaring the tubing? did I mis speak?

#10 ·
LOL Billy! How old are you? 12? Let's not get into the name calling childish ****! No one here cares.
AND, Yes this is a dedicated one use only tool! What's the issue? Eastwood sells some of these that only do one size... for 90 dollars apiece...
Mark

#12 ·
Jeez guys, no need to bicker. I was thinking along the lines of Astro. You buy a roll of coiled tubing in bulk. Normally when you buy in bulk, there are no flares or fittings because you are using it to make up your own line.. After you get it straightened out, then you can add your flares and fittings. You're not buying a straight line with the fittings already on then bending it, your taking coiled line and straightening it out. And even to fix it to be able to put in a flared fitting, would only take a matter a minutes.

#13 ·
SORRY, your right not trying to bicker - just that my suggestion that you might need to straighten a tube that had already been bent & flared was ignored like I hadn't said it, (more than once) pretty much called a idiot - as in whats the issue? as "someone" said. while working on cars maybe its just me but all the countless times things need to be redone over and over-! and eastwood (never heard of them) also I see makes one with a single wheel that they say does all different sizes (?) as well as the single one spoke of again above.. also was not sure where I called someone a "name" came from? and "no one cares"? about what? he must have cared as he posted--(?) also what does all the "****" mean? swearing? isn't swearing a sign of ignorance? (oh I see mark lives in stupidville- good place for him)
so I misunderstood the tool made here was just for coiled line only period.
as I bought some "premade" lines for my chevelle recently which they bent them to fit into the box, a little tag states "straighten here" and I was thinking a tool such as this would straighten that out, but I guess not as that tubing already has flares and nuts, where can I buy one to straighten this tubing then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.