Hot Rod Forum banner

key stuck in ignition

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  WeberVette 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have a 1973 corvette with an automatic trany. The ignition will not turn back to the lock position and allow the key to be removed. When the shifter is in park the starter will not turn over. I can place the shifter in neutral and it will turn over. I have removed the cover on the shifter and tried playing with it to stick in park but the ignition will not go to lock. I have also tried playing with the steering wheel to see if that helps. Something else that is really screwy is that when the car is in park the transmision will slip (I can roll the car and here something clicking) it has never done this before. I am thinking that it may be something wrong with the linkage. Any help would be great.

#2 ·
Sounds like the shifter is out of adjustment. The clicking noise is the parking pawl not engaging all the way. To adjust cable, block wheels and jack up car, put the shifter in neutral, disconnect the shifter cable from trans lever, move shift lever to park position then count 2 clicks back, this should be neutral. check exact alignment between cable end and shift lever, adjust cable as needed.

#3 ·
To get the key out try grabbing the "shift ring" right behind the key lock cylinder. It's part of the steering column and it should turn a bit counter clockwise if you rotate it by hand. This will allow you to remove the key and put the shifter in Park.
Mark

#4 ·
Thank you for all of you help it was great!

Last night I got under the car and found where the linkage connects to the Transmision. I noticed a cable that was running up towards my steering column. When the linkage was placed in the park position the cable was kinked. Once I got the cable straight the shifter went into park without any troubles.

My only problem now is that the cable is kind of bent due to me wrestling with the shifter before I realized the problem. I am hoping that I can take care of this with a little adjustment and time.

Thanks again you all are great!
-Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.