keyless entry problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 07:54 PM

Last journal entry: ...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

keyless entry problem

I purchased a REC43 keyless entry system for my door poppers. The remote worked great for the first few days. Now they seem to work only when they want to. Has anyone had this problem with there keyless entry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 04:45 AM

Last photo:

sounds like maybe a ground wire is loose. or maybe the remote battery is weak? (its only like a watch battery)..
Old 03-10-2009, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

Yeah, It sounds like it's either a bad remote battery, or YGWYPF (you get what you pay for).

I looked it up on the manufacturers website trying to find an installation manual, and they must have discontinued it... maybe for a reason. Might be why you can buy them ten different places on Ebay.

Their current models have some kind of protection mode to prevent or detect the addition of unauthorized remotes - as in, if a crook wants to steal your car, he can program a remote to your system by standing near your car while you have the key in the run position, or something like that. So maybe the receiver is in some kind of protection mode.

If you've tried both remotes and neither one works any better than the other, one more thing I'd try (if you haven't already) is to reboot the receiver by disconnecting the car's battery for about 30 seconds and hooking it back up.

I'm not ripping you for buying an inexpensive controller. I'm all for getting a good deal. But, I've had trouble with these in the past. Not sure if it is the case here, but sometimes unscrupulous manufacturers will intentionally dump a load of defective products on the wholesale liquidation market. Ever seen the late night TV infomercials that say "You can buy name brand products for pennies on the dollar and sell them online for big $$", that may be what's going on here.

Or maybe you just got a bad one.

[/mini-rant]

Hope this helps

Joe G.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

YGWYPF is what im thinking as well. What kind of replacement would you guys recomend? And where can a buy it? Also I have the unit grounded to my engine block, that should be good enough right?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radchop
YGWYPF is what im thinking as well. What kind of replacement would you guys recomend? And where can a buy it? Also I have the unit grounded to my engine block, that should be good enough right?
Yes, assuming that your engine is well grounded to the battery, frame and body.

I am partial to Dakota Digital remote control systems. The CMD-4000 system would be well suited to your needs. It's a bit spendy at $125, but the kit includes everything you will need, and the quality is excellent. I've installed at least twenty of these systems in the last five years, and haven't had a failure yet.

I buy them from my local hot rod parts store (Ed's Twin City Rod & Custom in St. Paul). In your area, the Dakota Digital dealer is Mild to Wild Classics.
http://www.mildtowildclassics.com/

DEI is another brand I have had good luck with. They're the same company that makes Viper alarm systems. They offer a keyless entry system for about $60, but depending what kind of latch actuators you have, you may also need to buy a couple of relays. (if you have the actuators that go "zzzzzit" you're OK, but if they are the ones that go "THUNK", you will need extra relays).
(click for link)
These might be available at your local Best Buy store too, but I'm not sure.

Good Luck

Joe G.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

Hey, I just checked out your project journal.

That is a great looking Galaxy!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Joe G! I'll check out Mild to Wild in the AM.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.