Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - A kid bought my pickup and threw a rod in under an hour.. how?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 03:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillerystevens View Post
I have an ethical dilemma. I sold my 1977 Chevrolet 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup a few days ago to a young man who promptly threw a rod complete with holes in the oil pan spilling both oil and coolant on to the ground within an hour of the title being signed over. I rebuilt the motor late last year and have around 500 miles on it since the rebuild. It has been running great since day one and the kid even said it ran "excellent" on the test drive. I am not a professional engine builder, but this certainly isn't the first motor I built and I am confident it was machined and assembled correctly.
I know I have no legal obligation to do this but I want to stand behind my motor. However I do not if it was abused. Do you think the motor was scattered by overspeed, incorrect assembly, lack of oil???
The motor is a 350 sbc, .40 over, new bearings throughout. Crank journals line bored, new rods, pistons, block was magged and fluxed, crank ground. Stock rotating assembly, edelbrock intake and carb. Stock heads were tanked an inspected. New RV cam. Engine was made to last, not be a runner..
I have been out of town for over a month, oil was good the last time I put gas in it and had no visible leaks or smoke in the exhaust. Truck has been parked except for test drives since I left.
The guy swears he did not tach it, but we were all 19 once so I have trouble believing. So what do you guys think? I know there is a lot of experience on this forum, certainly more than I will ever have.
Thanks in advance for replies.
He tached it and then some or in another hour of driving you were in for one hell of a surprise that you didn't hear coming.

Bogie