Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Kids and trouble
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2006, 11:51 PM
Yappy Ol' Lady

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I didn't get into much trouble when I was a kid. We moved too often for me to get into a "bad" crowd of friends. I went to 14 schools from K to Grade 12. I must say I am very proud of my kids. They're nowhere near perfect, but they've never caused me any problems besides the sibling rivalry thing. My one son smoked dope for a few years trying to self-medicate his depression. He learned though that all that did was screw up his head even more. I finally was able to get him out of the house to get help, and he is on the proper medication that he needs and is doing very well.

I have a step-son who has ADHD and a psychopathic personality. All he did was cause trouble. The police were constantly at my door or phoning me. Even with treatment, he didn't do well. He quit school after Grade 9, but finally graduated when he was 26. I don't consider myself a bad parent because of what he did, as he had a disorder that nobody could really fix. He'll never be 100% normal, whatever that is, but as he gets older I see more and more improvement with him.

I worked in adolescent psychiatry for many years. My boss often said there are no "bad" kids, but many "troubled" ones. God knows I've met enough of them over time.

Some troubled kids come from terrible homes, and their parents have no parenting skills at all. Often the parents are too drunk or stoned to care about what their kids are up to, or to worry about what is happening to them. On the other hand, kids can come from very good homes, and still end up in a lot of trouble.

One thing I'm tired of hearing is that children from broken homes are the ones that cause all the trouble. I can't agree with that, as I raised my kids on my own for 10 years, and teacher's and neighbors used to tell me what good kids I had.
I don't think it's fair to compare kids from single parent homes to those of two parent homes.