Kill switch, coil wire? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 11:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Kill switch, coil wire?

Hi there everyone,

Just a quick question. 327 Chev in a holden panel van.

When I got it, there was a switch under the dash to which stopped the ignition. I then had various problems with starting, and ended up bypassing the switch, wheich didn't make a difference to my starting problems anyway.

So now I have all that sorted, I would like to wire it back up but stupid me, didn't remeber, or write down what wires it was.

I think it was a simple switch on the wire to the coil, which if switch off stopped the car starting, thats my first guess, or maybe it was the wire from the coil to the points?

Any ideas which one seems more likely? It was running thru a simple switch with no relay, so I assume it was a very low amp wire.

If none of the above make any sense is there another simple way to wire up to kill switch? I would rather not have another pride and joy stolen while I am shopping.....:-(

Thanks in advance for your replys

Cheers
Rob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 06:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350pano
I think it was a simple switch on the wire to the coil, which if switch off stopped the car starting, thats my first guess, or maybe it was the wire from the coil to the points?
Assuming you have points and an external coil, the wire simply goes to the distributor side of the coil (should be the "-" side if the coil is wired correctly). With the switch on (closed) the coil is grounded and you'll get no spark. With the switch off (open) the points work normally. I suggest you hide the switch, however.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

Excellent thanks for that yes points and external coil.

Appreciate your reply

Cheers
Old 11-26-2009, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

actually, if you are still there I had another look, and it appears I got it all wrong. (although obviously the way above will work tho).

On looking a bit harder, I found the original wire that was interupted. (I had bridged the gap by removing the switch, and running a wire between the spade terminals).

This wire, runs from the alternator to the starter, to I assume the solanoid.

Would this be a better way of doing it than above? I imagine the first way will turn the motor over but won't start, whereas the alternator, switch, solanoid route would stop the thing turning over at all.

If the second way is better, any idea what amps would be running thru from the alternator to the starter? Would a normal switch be ok to handle that current? (I assume its a light current, just to switch the starter relay....)

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Rob

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.