Hot Rod Forum banner

kill switch question...

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  75gmck25 
#1 ·
Ok so I have an 83 monte carlo that I've been putting a lot of money into&I want to install a kill switch if I was told right all I need to do is attach a wire to the coil then hide the switch?that dosent sound right is it?what's the simplest way?thanx

#2 ·
Kill Switch

cutthroatkid said:
Ok so I have an 83 monte carlo that I've been putting a lot of money into&I want to install a kill switch if I was told right all I need to do is attach a wire to the coil then hide the switch?that dosent sound right is it?what's the simplest way?thanx
The coil is easy to disable and easy to hotwire as well if someone can get the hood up.
My daughter has a corolla and left home for university. I fitted a kill switch from the coil positive (+12v terminal) to an in-line switch which is glued under the central console. It cant be seen and will deter a car thief for a while. I feel better that she has that rather than nothing.
I would prefer an electric fuel cut-off as you find in some carbs which prevent an engine from "running on" when they are turned off. I am thinking a fuel problem is harder to trace than an electrical kill from the coil.
Cheers
al.

#3 ·
The coil needs 12 volts for the ignition to work, so you can use a switch to either interrupt it (no power to coil), or use a switch to ground the terminal. It will definitely stop the car.

Another choice is to interrupt the ignition switch line running to the starter. You can use a standard on-off switch, or you can use a momentary-on switch that has to be pushed at the same time you turn the key to crank the ignition. Some folks hide the button for the momentary-on switch as part of another accessory, like the cigarette lighter assembly or another stock-looking switch in the dash.

You can even activate the starter circuit line using relay that is turned on with your park lights. Unless someone knows to turn on the park lights first and then turn the key, the starter will not operate. It is also very easy for you to use, and most passengers won't even notice that you always turn on your park lights before trying to start the car.

Another option is to put an electric valve in the fuel line. These solenoids are very common on GM trucks with dual gas tanks and very easy to find in the junkyard. If you leave the fuel flow off, the car will start, but will only run until the float bowls are empty. Since this usually happens at a bad time for the thief (like in the middle of the first intersection), he will probably just abandon the car wherever it quits.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.