Kind of hard to find time to wrench these days - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 09:04 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Kind of hard to find time to wrench these days

I haven't really worked on my caddy in over a month. Been going to school to become an RN. Between nursing class and microbiology it is hard to find time. But on the positive side I have been taking a welding course at the local community college, so I am learning to weld. Picked up a small lincoln unit to work on my caddy. It is an old weld pak 100. But doesn't look like it has been used much. It was made back in 1993 if the paperwork with it is right. I do need to get a better fire extinguisher and maybe some welding blankets to cover up stuff in the basement.

Did get a used carb off ebay for like 25 dollars or so including shipping. It is from a 74 caddy if I decoded it right. Got a new alternator for 16 or 17 bucks too. Looks brand new. Wired it up but haven't mounted it yet. Want to get new belts before I do that. It is good from a wiring stand point. I think I wired it up like 2 months ago, and then it has just set there. Got to get a new gasket and one long carb mounting bolt for the Q jet. But maybe this weekend since I get paid.

Really thinking about welding up my own tank, making one not fixing the old one. My welds are getting better. I figure I could just build one around a universal/gm sending unit/pickup and maybe cut out the fill neck off my old one. I know it would be a big project and maybe not worth it once you figure the time and materials involved, but I really would feel proud about it if it worked.

The problem is every week there is always something to study for. Got to get more motivated to wrench on the caddy. Maybe fill in some holes or get that carb and alternator going. Either way it is still going to be awhile before I can get it on the road. Had to spend student loan money on other debts debts and new tires for daily drivers. Though I did pickup my welder off layaway.

Hope you all are finding it easier to work on your rides.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

I know how you feel. It took me 7 months before I started on my truck and still find myself going days, weeks or months without much progress. Just hang in there you'll get it done.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:42 PM
No substitute for cubic inches

Last photo:

to the club. Look at this post and you'll see this is a labor of love for a lot of people, myself included.

What's the longest time you've worked on your project

So never give up things happen to us all and things get put on the back burner.

Tony
Old 09-29-2011, 11:26 AM

Last photo:

eventually you always get back in the saddle, I started my roadster about 8 years ago and its been on hold for the past 6 years due to finishing school, family problems and other issues...the point is that we would all love to clock in to our garage everyday even for the most mundane things but still sucks when life throws you more important curves to deal with....eventually you always get back in the garage if its 6 years or 6 days...frustrating as it may be at times but we have all been there!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:59 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Yeah eventually you find that once you get the majority of the work done it then becomes a matter of a few hours here and there to fine tune and tweak rather than a few months to build a chassis, or a few weeks to redo an interior, keep on plugging away dudes. But remember never tell her its done!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

I know how you feel. Mine's spent the last year all ready for bodywork and I haven't even touched it because of college and life and such. Now that I've moved away to finish school and don't see it all the time I'm itching to knock some dents out.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

Well I got the new alternator mounted. Belt is on tight. Still need to hook up wires, going to replace some terminals to clean up the wiring.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

My poncho sat for 2 1/2 years ,all I could do was walk by it and dream.I had to renovate (completly) a house we bought so as to have place to live.
Now the house has been on hold all summer(livable) and the car is coming along. I can say it is a long process, sometimes I question it, but IT IS well worth it. Keep on trucking Poet-man. We are here for ya.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

Well I got the carb mounted. In part anyway. The 4 bolts are holding it down, but none of the other stuff is hooked up.

I started a bit of a fire inside the fender. Got that put out. Was trying to patch the trim holes. Didn't think it looked too good till I ground them down. Still lots of work and I am not sure I can do it with my rig. I am running .030 flux core wire and I had burn through issues on some holes. I am going to try the trick of using a nail or something similar size. I think I could get the holes fixed that way. They are just a hair to big to fill with just weld.

Still need to fix the terminals for the alternator, but I have to mow so it may be awhile.

So I am making some small progress. I am going to try to make a new fuel tank in welding class. They have the better welders and metal shaping equipment I don't have here.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:52 PM

Last photo:

You have your priorities in order. Getting the RN is #1. Then the time to work on the car will come....
Old 10-08-2011, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by user151
You have your priorities in order. Getting the RN is #1. Then the time to work on the car will come....
Thanks, and the money will help too.

I probably spent a little less than two hours. Now I need to learn some drugs. We have a list to memorize various factors.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.