Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   kinda odd question.. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/kinda-odd-question-205617.html)

NAW-T 4-T 09-17-2011 12:28 PM

kinda odd question..

..and please guys don't laugh but..

I'm sure you've all heard the question "what frame/subframe best fits a 40-41 Chevy sedan/coupe" and I've seen the answers posted.. but my question is.. whatever route I decide, has anyone put a newer V6 in it? (don't laugh!) I was thinking of staying with a smaller injected motor for fuel and reliability? i know this defeats the whole purpose.. but whats your guys thoughts on this?

35terraplane 09-17-2011 12:55 PM

question

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAW-T 4-T
..and please guys don't laugh but..

I'm sure you've all heard the question "what frame/subframe best fits a 40-41 Chevy sedan/coupe" and I've seen the answers posted.. but my question is.. whatever route I decide, has anyone put a newer V6 in it? (don't laugh!) I was thinking of staying with a smaller injected motor for fuel and reliability? i know this defeats the whole purpose.. but whats your guys thoughts on this?

If that's what you want, who are we to say different. many people are going to the V-6 Have been used for years by some. Go for it.

Bob

swvalcon 09-17-2011 01:45 PM

Look into the 4.3 chev v-6 everything for a 350 small block will hook up.They can be built to fairly good power but than you may as well go 350.

Valkyrie5.7 09-17-2011 02:04 PM

You can use a 3.8L Buick out of a 4th gen F-body with the supercharger from one of the FWD w-bodies, or even a supercharged 3.8L essex from the Thunderbird S/C. If you don't want to go supercharged you can get the 4.2L from the f-150 which is a stroked 3.8L essex. There's the 4.3L V6 from chevy that's 3/4 of a 350 and the I6 and I5 out of the Chevy Trailblazer and Colorado, respectively.

I would also suggest an automatic overdrive transmission with a deep first gear like a 700r4.

Valkyrie5.7 09-17-2011 02:34 PM

Also, completely the opposite of what you want to do, but you can't have a list of v6's without the 478 cubic inch 60 degree GMC v6:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0004_large.jpg

What a beast.

MARTINSR 09-17-2011 04:08 PM

Hell yes a little Buick/GM V6 would be a great choice. Personally, I say to hell with all the FI and electronic junk but that's just me. There is NOTHING simpler than a good old little V6 or inline six with a carburetor on it.

Brian

NAW-T 4-T 09-17-2011 05:43 PM

thanks for all the great info guys.. and that 478 is a beast alright! LOL! so you think a GM V6 be slapped into the 40 with a stock front end is possible? maybe some custom mounts? heard someone saying as long as the frame is solid should be okay..

35terraplane 09-17-2011 07:35 PM

question

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAW-T 4-T
thanks for all the great info guys.. and that 478 is a beast alright! LOL! so you think a GM V6 be slapped into the 40 with a stock front end is possible? maybe some custom mounts? heard someone saying as long as the frame is solid should be okay..

I would rebuild the front end just for safety sake. maybe even see what disc brakes would fit. I would put all new brake lines on anyhow, so you could change the MC. but you would have to do that if you grafted a front end on it anyhow.

Bob

Centerline 09-18-2011 05:30 PM

GM cars of that period had extremely strong frames. They were of a "top hat" style and as long as its not twisted or rusted through it will serve you just fine. I ran my 41 Chevy pro-street car (454) on a stock frame with a Mustang II ifs and disks. Believe me, a V6 will not overpower your stock frame.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it." - Dudley Moore

NAW-T 4-T 09-19-2011 07:30 PM

THATS the info I needed fellas! thanks again!

willowbilly3 09-19-2011 08:31 PM

Just get the whole front wheel drive front stub with the V6 and graft it in.
There is a 57-58 Coupe DeVille running around this area with a sideways northstar in it, pretty cool...and different.