Kit Car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 10:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Kit Car

Looking To Buy A Finished Glass 33-34 Ford 3 Window Coupe.not Much Experience With Kit Cars.which Manufactures Would Be Recommended?don't Want Any More Projects.retired,tired And Want A Turnkey.have A 30 Tudor 302 C-4-8" Chopped 5" And A 39 Ford Std. Coupe(40 Std. Nose)350-350 Turbo 77 Vette Fr. And Rr. Clips.always Wanted A 33-34 3 Window.any Advice On What To Look For Or What To Watch Out For Would Be Appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator023
Looking To Buy A Finished Glass 33-34 Ford 3 Window Coupe.not Much Experience With Kit Cars.which Manufactures Would Be Recommended?don't Want Any More Projects.retired,tired And Want A Turnkey.have A 30 Tudor 302 C-4-8" Chopped 5" And A 39 Ford Std. Coupe(40 Std. Nose)350-350 Turbo 77 Vette Fr. And Rr. Clips.always Wanted A 33-34 3 Window.any Advice On What To Look For Or What To Watch Out For Would Be Appreciated.
Just because I am an anal piece of crap I have to point out that you don't have a 39 Std coupe with a 40 standard nose. Not unless you changed the cowl, they are totally different. What you have is a 39 Deluxe with a 40 Standard front clip, they will innerchange.

Personally, I would rather have a finished ANYTHING that is real steal instead of the "kit car".

Check out the threads on the "Street beast" to find out what NOT to buy!

Brian
Old 06-12-2010, 12:41 AM

Last photo:

Steel is nice if you can find it and afford it, also "kit car" is a very misunderstood phrase. The "Street Beast" 33/34 is about as close to a kit car as you can get....BUT READ the threads on it.....buyer beware. Look on ebay under "hot rod" or narrow your search to "34 Ford". There are all kinds of hot rods for sale, from absolute crap to VERY nice.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
Steel is nice if you can find it and afford it, also "kit car" is a very misunderstood phrase. The "Street Beast" 33/34 is about as close to a kit car as you can get....BUT READ the threads on it.....buyer beware. Look on ebay under "hot rod" or narrow your search to "34 Ford". There are all kinds of hot rods for sale, from absolute crap to VERY nice.
When I see some of the stuff that is out there for sale at killer prices COMPARED to the "bling" popular most wanted 32-34 Ford I have to shake my head. I would rather have a 1938 Hupmobile that was well built than a perfect Tupperware pretend 34 Fordish copy. I know there are all kinds of tastes, I am not knocking anyone elses choice, please understand this. I am talking about MY taste in a car that I would own. A while ago a friend of mine had a BEAUTIFUL 31 Model A Phaeton (or is it a "touring"?) fenderless highboy for sale for $20K? I think that is what he wanted for it. Something like that. This may not be at all what dominator is looking for, I just give it as an example. This was a highboy with a very nice SBC running gear, painted, done, a VERY nice car (this guy builds VERY nice cars). It was at the Goodguys here near me and after seeing the CRAZY prices on the more popular cars I wouldn't have been able to pass it up if I were looking for a car.

I wouldn't buy a car just because of the "shape" of the body the designers gave it. There are sooooo many cars out there with beautiful lines, that are MUCH cheaper than the most popular vintage car you can come up with, the 33-34 Ford.

Brian
Old 06-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Ya Gotta Drive Them!

Last journal entry: Moved...
Last photo:

I have to agree with Brian, I am so tired of seeing belly button 32-34 Fords with the standard factory 350/350 SBC - having said that I have several friends (5) that have them and love them - and all are Downs bodies.

Downs reinforces their bodies with wood which matches the coefficent of expansion of fiberglass better than steel. Downs also fits and hangs the doors at the factory to give a good fit. Actually, they fit so well that they look too good i.e. kit car like.

More importantly, you need to really dig into how well the car was put together, chassis design, suspension choices etc. What does the workmanship look like? Good welds? - Are you going to drive it or haul it in a trailer? If you are going to drive it, look for a car with a factory crate engine, pass on the boy racer high performance engines that often show up in these cars - you probably arent John Millner and you probably never will be.

Too bad you dont want a '32 - one of my good friends has a '32 Full Fendered Vicky that was completed a couple of years ago that he would like to work a trade for a '39-40 Coupe - After he got the Vicky done, he discovered he needed a larger car for long trips.

This is a good time to be buying, the market is quite soft now.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:09 PM

Martinsr

brian,appreciate your view on glass vs. steel but $$ is a major contributing fact of life.my 39 "is" a standard coupe and the cowl was altered to accept the 40 standard nose.i don't have a 39 deluxe.i know that a 39 deluxe and 40 standard or deluxe would be an easy fit but you work with what you have and what you want it to be.have had my share of metal rides and now after seeing the dime a dozen repros i like how they've come along and mainly i can afford one.just looking for advice on the better manufactures.i still have my metal 30 and 39!!and do not intend to sell them.they will be passed on as will be the 34 once i find one.have plenty of family who can appreciate the hobby.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:19 PM

Conrad Az

Have Heard That Downs Was One Of The Better Glass Cars Along With Gibbons And Outlaw.i Am Looking To Buy A Finished One(used) Due To Health Reasons And Was Hoping To Hear From Guys Who Had Built Them And Which Ones Were The Better Fits And Better Quality.thanks For Your Comments.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.