View Single Post
Old 07-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Kit Car

Alright, after talking to my uncle he told me I was better off by saving my money and buying a kit-car that I can build in one summer and enjoy, rather than buyin a rust-bucket and just shoving my money into it for 5 years only to give up because it's too hard. I've never built a rod before or rebuilt an engine but I really wanna get into it, and now that I have a job and incomes I got my hopes up again of buying a project car or a kit.

Now, here's my plan, I wanna buy an engine at the end of this summer, rebuild it over the winter, and next summer drop it in a project car. Like I said above this would be my first engine buildup and since I'm on a budget I would just clean the whole engine, hot tank it, maybe add headers and better intake manifold/carb and dress it up a bit. No real big performance mods. If I keep my job and work through winter I hope to be able to buy a kit or project car next summer. I do have a welder, grinder and most of the tools needed except specialty tools.

Here's the kit I'm taking a look at

http://www.tperformance.com/street_r..._t_bucket_kit/

Has anyone used this kit before? How hard do you think would it be to complete it? Maybe I'm way over my head here but I can only spend little$$$ and this kit is the cheapest I found so far.

I plan on getting all the parts (rear-end, tranny, front axels, etc) from local junkyards. In total I only wanna spend 2.5k so it's gonna be a rat rod, as long as it drives.

Let me know what you guys think and what other alternatives I have. I'm hoping to find an old unfinished bucket somewhere and not having to use the kit, but this kit sounds like a good bang for the buck.

Thanks for all the input,

Mike