Thread: Kit Car
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2004, 07:49 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mike,
I admire your ambition. Can I make a recommendation? Save your cash first, all while you watch the papers, etc. You will find a car that someone "ran out of steam" on. You'll be able to steal it. You'll get a whole bunch of new parts for 1/3 price. Someones wife or mom will want "the wreck" out of the yard. Thats your chance! I know what your thinking..... I want to do something NOW !! Well, how's this? Try hanging around a racecar shop, tranny shop, mechanic, body shop. Ask them if they mind if you watch and learn. Don't be a pain in the butt, pay attention, be helpful without interfering. It may turn into a job ! Ask if you can play with the throw aways. Straighten a twisted fender. Take an old tranny apart and put it back together, take a blown motor apart and put it back together. ALL, WHILE NOT SPENDING A DIME ! The shop owner will see the initiative, and guide you on the right way. Us old farts remember being a kid.
When the "One" comes along, you have the expertise or experience without crushing your wallet.

Jeff