Kit Car - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Yeah it'd be cool to find a chevy luv that already has a 350 in it and then just buy the fiberglass body and bolt it onto the frame.
Then just primer it flat black with rattle can and ride it!!!!!!

About the hangin 'round the shop thing, I tried doing that last summer and wasn't succesfull. I got a job now so I don't have time to hang around a shop but I do hang around my uncle a lot. He has 20 freshly rebuilt V8's ready to go in any of his projects. He has one 1949 Chevy truck with a Pontiac V8 in it, a 1930 1 ton truck that he made into a 1/2 ton and a 1939 Ford truck. He's also got a t-bucket (original stee body) and frame sitting in the back covered under a blanket. I hang around his place and ask lotta questions that he's happy to answer....

I'll go to my local salvage yard this week to see if they got some chevy frames.

Thanks for all the input so far

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Bring back a whole truck

There is going to be a need for all those little parts such as alternators..steering column..as well as a lot of bits and pieces one does not think of..

All of that stuff is spendy when bought seperately..and even if it does not work one can use the parts for cores at the parts store..If the engine and tranny works even more better..one does not quite realize just how fast one of these t-bucket's is until one actually drives one..See little engines make light cars go very well..

You can always dress it up and put in another motor and tranny at a later date..

Or learn from this project and the next time it will be better..

just my thoughts..
Old 07-16-2004, 07:47 PM

Last journal entry: heres my car and me
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've thought about doing this to and still am contemplating it.
You should check out in Street Rodder they have been doing a big thing on total performance's kits and how well they goto together. So for it seems to be going pretty smoothly no big problems yet. If u want i could scan the articles and email them to you. just send an email to hotrodzombie13@yahoo.com
Old 07-17-2004, 09:55 PM

Last photo:

If you build a T-bucket, you WILL love it! I have a 22 that you can see in my gallery, and I have maybe 5000 into it over the past 8 years, but it was drivable for less that 1500.. If you need any advice on buckets, try this link, these guys know everything there is to know about buckets and are always happy to see a new bucket-head. http://www.nationaltbucketalliance.com/ntbabbs

If you have any questions about buckets, feel free to ask and I can probaly help you!

Good Luck
Old 07-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

Alright, thanks for all the input so far.....Sin Alley if it's not too much trouble it'd be cool if you could send them pics to me. I'll write you an e-mail later.

So here's my plan so far....If I don't find a good project car this summer I might go with a t-bucket.
I'll try to find a Chevy LUV for as cheap as possible. BTW, I have absolutely NO idea what engines these came with and if they were rear wheel drive? Any chance the they might've come with a V8 in certain years? So I'll try to find one of those or an S10 (dirt cheap 'round here) or even a late 70's early 80's chevy car (caprice?) that came with a 350. Once I got the donor car I'll strip the body down and get it off the frame. I'll keep the radiator, lights, steering column and box, alternator, starters basically everything, electricals and ditch the rest.
Then I'll get the frame rust-free and put some ashpalt rubberized undercoating on it or POR15 and paint the frame and the diff, driveshaft and engine.
Next I'll get this t-bucket body for $496.
I'll find a way to attach it to the donor car frame. I'll do the interior myself the ghetto way. Take plywood and cut it the shape of the interior or panels. Then upholster it. Put some junkyard seats in it and maybe re-upholster them as well.
Get all the donor car gauges back on the t-body, same with steering column and all the rest of the interior.
Primer the body and make a custom bed for it in the back out of sheet metal.
And then fun in the sun right?
Do you guys think this is doable? Again, it's nothing real yet, I'm just browsing through all my options.

Mike
Old 07-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Take A Look

Look at my project journal..I am doing basically what you are thinking of..
Old 07-24-2004, 07:01 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

Looks like a fun project OneMoreTime.

I found a 1955 Nash Metropolitan today for $400 dollars. They're very short and small cars, perfect for a t-bucket frame.
Question is if I wanna spend that much for a frame and if I do get it if I woulnd't want to keep it as a Nash.

Mike
Old 07-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Nash Metro

I remember one from the late 60's that ran as an altered..Darn if I can remember just who the guys were..

Anyway Mike says here you are 16..soooo work on accumulating tools and skills..learning to weld and fabricate for example..Get a good wrench set..If you are the guy that knows how and does a good job people will come around and ask you to do it..

That Nash metro could be a good first project to just restore and get running..

See to build a car on a budget requires sweat..either yours..or pay some guy for his..It is the way of the world..

Being able to do some shopping around..My chassis cost the price of a title transfer as the car had an under-hood fire and was totaled..I get around to swap meets and such with my shopping list..Never know..Might find just the thing I need..And it takes some time to build a car..

Just do a good job of it...GRINNN. And stay in school..!!
Old 07-24-2004, 07:49 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

UNLESS that nash is totally shot, it's probably worth two t- buckets right now to a nash person....

the chevy luvs had fourbangers, and rwd.
an s10 would be a good donor.

Beenaway has a great point. CASH TALKS. you walk up to mr. brokeandwantstosellhisproject with a chunk of chingle, you'll be surprised how quick a tune will change at the site of a little cashola.

do you read rod and custom?
Old 08-07-2004, 01:17 AM

Kit Car

Hi, I too am looking at building a bucket car in the ssame manner as you. No show car just a beater to have fun with. In my opinion this is the first thing you need to consider, if I understand what you are trying to do. If you are thinking of using alot of salvage parts and enginering (rigging) everything yourself, you can sure do that. However, you really need to think about what you are doing, and have a strong understanding of the geometry and design of what you are building. Its worth doing it the right way, without rushing, or your first ride could be your last. There is a reason why cars are crash tested and then inspected. If you go hacking into just anything without understanding what the proper function of this piece or that brace does your going to flex and flop all over the road. Anytihng is possible with determination, common sense, and the willingness to finnish the job, but like I said its worth doing right (SAFE) if its to be at all.

"Jesus is the way"
Have fun
Old 08-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

Hey <>< <>< <>< (like your username....3 fish right?) thanks for the advice.
I'm not too sure how to go about building it safe and if I'm gonna build it at all cause I'm also looking at buyin a '51 chevy. I guess if I get a donor chasis and keep the stock steering setup and axles the whole geometry is goin to be right, right?

BTW, "Jesus is the way" reminds me of a Stryper song

Mike
Old 08-07-2004, 02:00 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

ideas

On the way home this moring I saw a Ford ranger pickup for sale for 100.oo bucks..woudl make a good start for someone..take off the old cab and body and put something sporty on it..

the idea works for me..dunno if it works for anyone else..least a fellow would get home with all the major components as well as a lot of small items one would need..

Old 08-07-2004, 06:17 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

anything works for ME!!!!! can you tell I'm desperate? If you get a whole car like that it's great cause everything comes with it such as small little things that you wouldn't think about but would have to buy later on.
All you do is take of the cab and bed and keep steering column, gauges, shifter, etc. and mount a t-bucket body you found in the weeds on it There ya go! Rod for under $500 you see where I'm goin here?

Mike
Old 08-08-2004, 11:32 PM

kit car

Hey I'm also thinking of getting a t-bucket from total performance.
I live 10 miles from where the shop is located. A t-bucket isn't my favorite car but it would be easy to build and cheap also. It would also be my first hot rod and my first car. What I really want is a '46 Ford. Any other information on t-buckets or '46 Fords would be appreciated. Or if anybody knows of any alternatives.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:32 AM

Last journal entry: the goods
Last photo:

T buckets are WAY cool!! I have always wanted to build one to but never knew how to go about it. But there are alot of great sites out there that cater to the rat rod scheme of things. I did my 67 GMC in the rat rod style with the suede clack paint, flames, piston head shifter, flatbed, dual smoke stack exhaust etc... and i couldn't be happier with the look. The most expensive part of this build up was the engine. It cost me $3000 to build my 350 and about $2000 in other parts to finish it up. So I refer to it as a low buck build up.
Some sites to check out would be
www.ruffrodders.com
www.olskoolrodz.com
www.ratfink.org

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.