kit car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2006, 12:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

kit car

I just inherited a Fiberglas kit car. Looks like a 1936 Mercedes. Its called the "Marlene". The company went out of business a few years back, so no help there. It was designed to use mostly 1978 Mustang parts. It has its own frame. It was supposed to use the '78 Mustang v-6, etc. I have a 1988 Lincoln Mark VII complete car, low mileage with 5 liter fuel injected engine and automatic. The "Marlene" (Mercedes) has rear leaf springs and front coils. I modified the Mark VII rear end to fit the Mercedes leaf springs. The Mark VII has all wheel disc brakes and 16 " wheels. Now I can't get the front spindles and Mark VII Discs to work with the 1978 Mustang upper and lower control arms, etc. The Lincoln came with all wheel air suspension and and McPherson Struts. I got 1988 Lincoln Towncar spindles, but they are 1 inch too high and cause the upper control arms to rub on the tires.
Are there other spindles that will solve this problem or do I need to go back to all '78 Mustang rear end and front suspension? I don't think it is safe to use the 11 inch rear disc brakes with the 9 inch Mustang front disc brakes??
I was hoping on using as much of the '88 Lincoln as possible, since it is newer and a lot less mileage than the Mustang.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2006, 08:06 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene kit car
........I don't think it is safe to use the 11 inch rear disc brakes with the 9 inch Mustang front disc brakes??
I used 9" Mustang II disks on the front and big Ford disks on the rear in my pro-street car and they worked just fine. Used a Corvette dual master cylinder as well. As long as you use the proper sized master cylinder the Mustang and Lincoln brakes will function properly.

Your easiest solution is to go with the Mustang front suspension and the Lincoln rear. There's no reason you can't use those two size disks together. Remember a lot of "stock" vehicles come with two different size disks too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.