Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   General Rodding Tech (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/general-rodding-tech/)
-   -   Kit Cars......factory five (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/kit-cars-factory-five-229234.html)

Jsup 02-06-2013 02:03 PM

Kit Cars......factory five

Hey guys. I have a FORD engine I got stuck with because a customer cancelled. I am working on selling it, but in the event it doesnt sell, I was wondering if you guys had any experience with a Factory Five build.

I'm looking at the Corbra or the Five Window Coupe. Any quality issues? As far as I can tell, the reviews have been good. I have never done this, and I don't have the space, or money, to do a full restoration. These seem like an easy way out for a quality build.

Any thoughts? Anything out there that's a better deal? I'm new to this knid of build and would appreciate any input I can get.

Thanks

killeratrod 02-06-2013 03:42 PM

If you want one you need room to build it , and about $40,000. Your best bet is to get one done or lost interest in project at 40 cent on the dollar

Jsup 02-06-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killeratrod (Post 1643393)
If you want one you need room to build it , and about $40,000. Your best bet is to get one done or lost interest in project at 40 cent on the dollar

Yeah, if I can find that, would be PERFECT!

Funny, lots of people buy the engine first. I'd like to find one with no engine/trans. I have a 2 car garage. I have SOME room, but this is jersey, I'm on a 75x100. I don't have room for big garages like down south jersey

sedanbob 02-06-2013 08:41 PM

The Factory Five '33 ford is an awesome kit and deal. Your engine, trans, wheels and tires, and paint. Everything else is in the kit - all the chassis, suspension, wiring, steering, instruments, upholstery, hinges, latches, driveshaft, rear end, brakes, everything - for $20,000! They configure all the motor and trans mounts, you just tell them what you want to put in there. When it's done, it handles like a slot car. If I wasn't out of money and garage space, I'd be building one. You can do a coupe, roadster with soft or hard top, highboy, full-fendered, or with motorcycle fenders. They even have a school you can attend one how to build one!

gearheadslife 02-06-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsup (Post 1643358)
Hey guys. I have a FORD engine I got stuck with because a customer cancelled. I am working on selling it, but in the event it doesnt sell, I was wondering if you guys had any experience with a Factory Five build.

I'm looking at the Corbra or the Five Window Coupe. Any quality issues? As far as I can tell, the reviews have been good. I have never done this, and I don't have the space, or money, to do a full restoration. These seem like an easy way out for a quality build.

Any thoughts? Anything out there that's a better deal? I'm new to this knid of build and would appreciate any input I can get.

Thanks

ffr is 30 miles from me, they are awesome guys, and the product is great, and they help you with anything..
I'm looking at the daytona, or the cobra or the 33..
very well built, frame is very stout..

if your close, I'd drive up and pick up your kit. so you can see the factory.. you'll save nothing as the shipping fee, you'll eat in fuel.. but, it's a great factory to tour (and it's 20 miles from cape cod, hint hint, vacation )

you can buy the kit in two installments if you like, the frame/etc as part#1 and body/interior #2 and the cost is the same under 20k for everything,, or if you can find a donar mustang, they are about 14k.. and they run upgrade sales all the time.. adding in 2500-3000 in extras the two part deal is ideal for those without a two car garage and understanding neb 'hood.(H.O.A. {NAZI'S} ) or wife... lol

302 Z28 02-07-2013 07:48 AM

Do not fool yourself, you cannot build the car for anywhere near $20K. FF is probably the finest car you can build but you will spend probably twice or more what you initially payed for the kit before it is finally finished.

Vince

gearheadslife 02-07-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302 Z28 (Post 1643658)
Do not fool yourself, you cannot build the car for anywhere near $20K. FF is probably the finest car you can build but you will spend probably twice or more what you initially payed for the kit before it is finally finished.

Vince

really no kidding.. :P

but all you need is an engine, trans and rear end
you can get all 3 for 500.oo
302efi/aod grand marks whole cars under 3-400 running, scrap the car and make 300 back, mustang rear complete under200

the kit comes with everything else

302 Z28 02-07-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearheadslife (Post 1643742)
really no kidding.. :P

but all you need is an engine, trans and rear end
you can get all 3 for 500.oo
302efi/aod grand marks whole cars under 3-400 running, scrap the car and make 300 back, mustang rear complete under200

the kit comes with everything else

Why on earth would you put a wrecking yard engine/transmission/rear axle in such a fine car? You also have to do required body and prep work. Paint it, then you got wheels and tires, interior, electrical the list can go on and on.

Been there done that
Vince

sedanbob 02-07-2013 05:38 PM

$20,000 just gets you the kit - you still need engine, trans, wheels, tires, paint (and the prep to paint it). If you opt for full fenders, that's more. If you decide to powdercoat the chassis, that's more too. An open rear end is included - posi costs more.

It does seem a shame to put a junkyard engine/trans in an otherwise fine automobile, but I guess you could do it. You will spend a couple grand on wheels and tires, and you could spend a bunch on paint and powdercoat, but it will still be a bargain for the ride! I would guess you could do a nice one for a little over $30,000.

gearheadslife 02-08-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302 Z28 (Post 1643821)
Why on earth would you put a wrecking yard engine/transmission/rear axle in such a fine car? You also have to do required body and prep work. Paint it, then you got wheels and tires, interior, electrical the list can go on and on.

Been there done that
Vince

well you haven't been there done that with a ffr
whoopie I missed the wheels..
why would you put a j/y drivetrain in one.. better question WHY NOT..
that gets you up and running and then you can build a firebreather..
at 2400lb you don't need 450hp to make it silly fast

timothale 02-08-2013 10:07 AM

FF 33 build

Do a search here on Hotrodders for Arrowhead. He has posted a lot of info about his FF 33 and problems and I think he has more info on the web.

Arrowhead 02-08-2013 10:10 AM

I have a build thread here of my FFR hot rod build:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/fact...te-174115.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302 Z28 (Post 1643821)

Been there done that
Vince

Not disagreeing with you Vince, but to clarify, the kit is pretty comprehensive - seats, carpet, gauges, door panels, pedals and master cylinders, steering system, front brakes, fuel lines and tank, brake lines, front and rear suspension, wire harness, head lights, tail lights, exhaust system, etc. Now all the parts may not meet everyones standards and that's where the extras come in not to mention the body and paint work. You could actualy build a running driving car for not a lot more money than the $20K starting price (which does not include the top, it's a roadster for that price), but you would have to go low budget on the bling like wheels and the other mandatory parts like engine and drivetrain.

Arrowhead 02-08-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedanbob (Post 1643871)
An open rear end is included - posi costs more.

Sorry bob, rear end is not included in the base kit. They will include one but it's extra.

sedanbob 02-08-2013 08:40 PM

Arrowhead, My bad - I knew they had an optional one, thought the open rear was included. The '33 kit is very different than the Cobra kits, in that they include a lot more. Any build can be up-graded to be pricey (I wouldn't want to remember what all I spent for stainless hardware, for example), but I think the basic FFR '33 kit is a bargain for what you get.

I'll have to read your posts about your '33 build!

302 Z28 02-10-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedanbob (Post 1644215)
but I think the basic FFR '33 kit is a bargain for what you get.

Absolutely I would agree.

Vince