Kit cars and rolling chassis? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006, 06:36 PM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Kit cars and rolling chassis?

Who sells them?
Who has purchased them?

I found a company on ebay that sells rolling chassis, I may pick one of these up and slap on a model t body. That way, all the difficult frame work is done. Just chop the top, fill in the door handle spots and customize.

The chassis are very updated and i think would be very nice on the street. A little pricey though. http://motors.search.ebay.com/search...rclo=&saprchi=

thats the link to a few of their auctions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 05:20 AM
Last photo:

Be for warned, they are a lot more work than you estimate. Also you could do well to avoid the Ebay routine. If you are going to invest that much in a chassis you better buy directly from the manufacturer like Pete & Jakes, Fatman, The Roadster Shop to name a few. And please, do not call them "kit cars". Those of us that spend three to six years building one of these know full well that there is nothing "kit" about them.

Vince
Old 04-26-2006, 12:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
Be for warned, they are a lot more work than you estimate. Also you could do well to avoid the Ebay routine. If you are going to invest that much in a chassis you better buy directly from the manufacturer like Pete & Jakes, Fatman, The Roadster Shop to name a few. And please, do not call them "kit cars". Those of us that spend three to six years building one of these know full well that there is nothing "kit" about them.

Vince
Actually i think you misunderstood me when i was referring to the kit cars. I was referring to those model t fiberglass bodies or those kits that come with the chassis, body, everything minus the donor car to make a car out of.

Like i said above; the ebay link was just for an example, nothing something i am married to.

Trying to get some ideas because i want one of those "rat rod" style rods. I like how they hit the air bag switch and the top of the rear tire is at eye level when you are inside the car.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:24 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Racing
Actually i think you misunderstood me when i was referring to the kit cars. I was referring to those model t fiberglass bodies or those kits that come with the chassis, body, everything minus the donor car to make a car out of.
Sorry I misunderstood you. I purchased a rolling chassis, chassis, body combination, it is a 34 Ford 3 window coupe. I have many pictures in my photo album and many posts on the site detailing the problems I encountered. Again, I stress, they are not simply a bolt together operation. They require many hours of fitting fabrication and modifying. If you do not do anything, please visit my photo album and take a look. Search the site for my post "34 progress". I am just trying to remove the "rose colored" glasses and possibly save you some grief and a lot of money.

Take care
Vince

ps I do not mean the "rose colored glasses" to be a negative comment.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
Sorry I misunderstood you. I purchased a rolling chassis, chassis, body combination, it is a 34 Ford 3 window coupe. I have many pictures in my photo album and many posts on the site detailing the problems I encountered. Again, I stress, they are not simply a bolt together operation. They require many hours of fitting fabrication and modifying. If you do not do anything, please visit my photo album and take a look. Search the site for my post "34 progress". I am just trying to remove the "rose colored" glasses and possibly save you some grief and a lot of money.

Take care
Vince

ps I do not mean the "rose colored glasses" to be a negative comment.
Well i was looking at the chassis which were bilt specific for the bodies i was looking at.

I also did post this thread to hear feedback like your. I think its important that people kno how much DIY work is involved when buying a "kit" car
Old 04-27-2006, 10:39 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Take a look at my journal. I bought a "kit" from Total Performance and built it in a bout a year. (Thanks 302/Z28 for setting the record straight on the whole kit car thing, I hate that phrase too)

What kind of car do you want to build? The T, A and 32 style frames are different and it could look kind of funny if you don't plan ahead and have mismatched parts, unless that's what you want. If you looking for a T, theres plenty of manufacturers all over that make tham.

Total Performance
CCR
Spirit

I think these are cool:
http://www.zippermotors.com/

Check out

www.nationaltbucketalliance.com

Be forwarned, some "kits" have some parts that will only work with more of thier own special parts (ie Total Performance front spindles)
Old 04-27-2006, 11:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
Take a look at my journal. I bought a "kit" from Total Performance and built it in a bout a year. (Thanks 302/Z28 for setting the record straight on the whole kit car thing, I hate that phrase too)

What kind of car do you want to build? The T, A and 32 style frames are different and it could look kind of funny if you don't plan ahead and have mismatched parts, unless that's what you want. If you looking for a T, theres plenty of manufacturers all over that make tham.

Total Performance
CCR
Spirit

I think these are cool:
http://www.zippermotors.com/

Check out

www.nationaltbucketalliance.com

Be forwarned, some "kits" have some parts that will only work with more of thier own special parts (ie Total Performance front spindles)
I dont like the zipper motors cars but they are interesting.

That Tbucket site is kind of cool. I need to find one to sit in though. Im 6'6" so i dont know if i will fit in a chopped t bucket cabin. But it would be ******!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Kit cars and rolling chassis?

May I suggest that you do not purchase any rolling chassis until you have had a chance to see a "rat rod" up close. Go to a few rod runs and car shows in the next few months and talk to the owners of these cars. Hot rodders love to talk about their rides and will be very helpful. At 6'6" you will find that about the only channeled car you fit in is a sedan. After you have researched the cars in person you will be able to decide which chassis you will want. Good luck with your search.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
May I suggest that you do not purchase any rolling chassis until you have had a chance to see a "rat rod" up close. Go to a few rod runs and car shows in the next few months and talk to the owners of these cars. Hot rodders love to talk about their rides and will be very helpful. At 6'6" you will find that about the only channeled car you fit in is a sedan. After you have researched the cars in person you will be able to decide which chassis you will want. Good luck with your search.
i searched for some pictures and i found some of the body styles i like:

Is this how they start?

I think i would fit in this even if i chopped the roof:

I even like these bad boys. plenty of space to lay my seat back far:

that's enough for now. There is a rat rod shop near my work, i am going to stop by there sometime in the next few weeks. Those guys are truely rat rods, i actually dont like their sloppy cuts, non-grinded welds and bondo spots showing through the flat black ppaint
Old 04-29-2006, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

I have never attempted to build a "kit" car but I had a customer bring a 55 T-Bird "kit" to my weld shop about twenty years ago and I truly hope they have improved since then, this thing was junk with a capital "J"! He brought it in for us to fab some door and hood hinges because he could not get the ones that came with the "kit" to work and it was no mystery why he could not get them to work. The engineering (such as it was ) on this thing must have been done by Moe, Larry and Curly and there was no way the parts supplied could work, it was just physically impossible. He had all the glossy sales literature inside the car and to read that it sounded almost like a weekend project but in this case anyway it was more like a lifetime project! Also the frame was a joke and the fiberglass body was wavy and distorted, this thing was eventually scraped. As I said I have no other experience with "kit" cars and this was back in 1985 so it may be that kits have come a long way since then and this one may have just been exceptionally bad and not the norm but every time I see "kit" car I can't help but remember this thing and how incredibly bad it was.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.