Kitchen Cabinet help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Kitchen Cabinet help

OK guy's I need your input. I have been doing an addition to my house for the last year or so, it's getting time for kitchen cabinets. So here is my question.

I have looked at 2 different lines of cabinets.

1. Craftmade
2. Aristocraft

I like both, both offer what I am looking for, and both are comparable in price unless I start adding features then the Craftmade gets pricey.

What do you guys have in your house and do you like them?

If you have other brands please by all means give me your input on those also. I want to do this one time and be done.

I also remember reading that one of our members here at HR.com builds custom cabinets. I hope he chimes in and gives me some info.

Thanks for your time

Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2006, 12:40 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Look for good hardware. You almost want to buy one of each, for destructive testing purposes. Look at the jointery. Is it solid, or K Mart quality? Will it take someone dropping something heavy into it? How about a youngster pulling down on it. Kids "hanging" on the door? (Especially teenagers looking for munchies... )
Old 05-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I cant remember the line of cabinets we have chose, but they are considered a semi-custom cabinet. the Aristocraft cabinet if from a cabinet company (KSI Cabinets) and the Craftmade cabinet is from Lowe's/Home Depot. I have abused both of them to the point that they should hold up to the abuse that my kids will give them.

Steve
Old 05-22-2006, 01:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I build custom cabinets at home for some extra cash now and again.

What I have in my home is custom cabinets built out of solid oak and oak plywood. They were built by my grandfather in his garage. These are second to none. But if i was to get them built by someone the labor would have killed me and would have put these way out of my price range.

Hardware is a excellent point. The hardware must be top of the line. I have built out of cheep stuff and out of good hardware and there is no comparison. The good stuff will last longer, adjust better and have less problems. It ticks people off when I tell them that the hinges are going to be about 5 buck a hinge, but it's worth every penny.

I'm not familiar with this type of cabinets, but I'm going to assume that these cabinets are the modular type that you can get from home depot and that you are doing this your self. (If that is not true please enlighten me about them) Make sure that you are going to put in everything to manufactures spec at least. Once you are at that point put in extra screws to hold it to the wall and to the other cabinets. Go to "over kill standards" to hold the cabinets even more. This is what can kill cabinets quick because they use cheaper materials ( Just like me) to cut costs. And cheaper usually means less quality so it will need a little extra help to last.

One thing to remember is that a extra thousand dollars now could save you ten times more down the road.

Any other questions just ask.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.