Knock Sensor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010, 06:49 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Knock Sensor

The owner of a 1987 chevy 5.7 engine is back again with his fustrating dilimma of the evil knock sensor that is still frozen in my block. The only material left from the sensor is about a little under 1/2 inch of thread. Instead of trying to chisil out what is left is there any hope of moving the sensor to another part of the engine? Isn't there a plug on the opposite side of the engine that the sensor would screw right into? Give me some advise ya'all. One dude wants me to weld a bolt or some sort of lug to the left over thread, but I am not sure if I can get a good weld on it. Then I thought about useing my dremel tool to drill a hole, but it be my luck to bust the bit off. Is there any place on the intake manifold I could maybe put the sensor? My headers are hogging allot of space up, they also make things difficult. My buddy said about 11;00 am will give it another go. Your advise would be welcoming.

Tommy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

You can use the other side of block but, that plug may be just as stuck/froze as the Knock sensor. You would have to extend the wire to reach.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

If it's that much trouble just get another block of craigslist in good condition. But please thouroghly inspec it before you buy.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Welding the nut to whats left of the sensor in the block is really your best bet to get it out. when it cools enough that the red dissapears you should be able to turn it loose as the heat from welding should move the molecules around fast enough to loosen the piece . That DUDE had the right idea.you should thank him
Old 08-21-2010, 06:29 PM

temporary success

As I told ya'all I would be attempting to move the knock sensor to the other side of my engine. To make a long story short the plug screwed out with amazing ease. I screwed the new sensor into its place, re-wired it and thought everything was good to go. The engine idle is high I have fuel injection. Test drove the vehicle up a steep incline and the engine just wouldn't pull the hill. When I floored the accelarator I had no power and the engine trouble light came on. What kind of sign is my engine telling me? About a week ago the dealership diagnosed my engine to have a intake manifold leak. Do you think the way my performance is being effected could be a direct cause of the manifold leak? Well I guess its back to checking for vaccum leaks. Is it easy to over look a leak? I have used propane, starter fluid wd-40 and carb cleaner to track the leak. I think I will try soapy water. It seems to me it would be easy to spot rather than to hear a different variation in the engine idle. All suggestion on my new problem would be appreciated.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

pull the trouble code from the ecm and go from there.If it has an intake leak you will have a lean code.this very well could be your problem.Hi idle speed also is a good indication. The idle air counts should be around 20 or 25 ( if you have live data scanner) if it is at 0 it is trying to compensate for the leak.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.