Hot Rod Forum banner

Know about T bucket kits? step inside

16K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  68NovaSS 
#1 ·
A neighbor of mine is interested in building his first street rod.

He saw a few t-buckets at Good Guys this last weekend and had the bug bite him:)

He is looking into kits to get started on his first build.
I have no background in this type rod, always been a muscle car guy.

Any info you can share for me to pass along would be appreciated.

I do know he took home a Speedway catalogue and is giving it a good look over.

Thanks!

#4 ·
If he can find an original Total Performance 'kit' that is a left over, a roughly built car or an abandoned project, that might be one way to jump into the fray. Also, another that I've heard some talk about is a 'kit' from Spirit Industries (Spirit T-Bucket Parts and Turn-Key TBucket Cars - Home - Spirit Industries). As far as Speedway - they are selling a Total Perf. design as well as, I believe, their own - most Speedway 'buckets I've seen leave, IMHO, a lot to be desired. Then of course, look here at the National T-Bucket Alliance : T-Buckets

#9 ·
Tbucketeers

The Tbucketeers web site also has a lot of Info, One of my T bucket bodies was built in 1916 By Henry Ford ReAL Steel. , one of the Glass bodies my son started on 20 years ago has lots of spider web cracks, some bodies are thinner, The last T bucket I got for Free, a project started then parked in the guy's back yard for 20 years. I passed up an unfinished T bucket project A roller with engine and trans running for 2 K,

#11 ·
Ccr

I built a couple T chassis using the plans from CCR everything fit pretty good, better than using 2 x 4's to build a mock up. one problem I had was using the patterns for the Corvair steering box and the Jag rear end. I used the bluprints that come in the CCR book and copied them and laminated clear shelf paper, cut them out with the optical tracer Plasma at the college, The copy machine might have distorted them. On the next ones I will use the CCR plans and draw the patterns on cardstock paper with drafting tools and double check with the cut up Jag crosmember pieces

#13 ·
Tbucketeers is a great site. The HAMB can be too; if your friend can weed through the 'they didnt have that muffler clamp in 1968' and 'its not a Tbucket, its a Modified' crowd. Oh and they hate the pro street T look, so if thats what hes after, keep him between here, Tbucketeers and NTBA.

*At this point; 'glas T's ARE traditional if you're looking to do something say 1968 and later.
*I dont like the prefab interior kits, seem like a waste of money for the low quality pieces you get.
*I'd also have him sit IN a couple of buckets. My Dad is 6'2 and a T is fine for local stuff; but he'd never handle a poker run in one. To go with that; he may want to weigh his options on cutting in a door on a 'glas T. I have bad legs and getting in a bucket without a door can be easy early in the day, but by the time Im tired, I just about fall out of 'em

*Using the GM intermediate sized disc brakes seems to cause problems for some people at highway speeds; but not everybody.

He would only really need a 305 with an RV cam and a TH200-4r or TH350.

#15 ·
Whoa !!

The fence posts come at you pretty fast when the front wheels are up in the air. You don.t need a lot of power but you will want the look,Henry Ford was a little guy and the early Model t's were made to fit him, I am 6 ft and I am very crowded in the 16 body, the 23 glass one has a little more room. they now make oversized T bodies.

#17 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

I am going to email him the link to this thread and maybe he will Join and get into the discussion first hand.
The size of the 23 isnt that much of a problem for him,as he is less than 6ft, slim trim mid 40's. Not built anything like this old fool, big, fat, and old :)

#19 ·
My only experience with T-Buckets is with Total Performance. Mine is mid '70's, no cracks or spider webs and I see a few projects still around for sale.

My steering passes through the bottom of the firewall, makes for more leg and pedal room, if you're tall, you may have issues with a straight up and down column setup.

For the 1700 or so pounds they weigh, no, they don't need a lot of power to get your heart rate up, add the short wheel base it's even more exciting. I have a BBC/Tunnel Ram/T-400 in mine, gives me miles of smiles.

#21 ·
I looked extensively at these providers when I was starting to build mine. Visited Total Performance and Spirit. I went with the Spirit frame and body. The TP frame was not as beefy and their body did not have as many options IMO. You can purchase a kit from either (minus the drivetrain and paint). I did not opt for the kit although I did purchase some of their suspension components. From there you can add whatever you like to make it uniquely yours. I used Painless wiring, Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, Ididit steering column, Flaming River steering box, custom interior, custom windshild frame, custom lighting - you get the idea.

Since then, both companies have morphed somewhat - TP seems to be selling their products through other established retail outlets, and Spirit has increased their offerings beyond T-Buckets. TP cars are common and easily identifiable.

#30 ·
anyone know anywhere except speedway to buy a top frame for my bucket
WINTEC/Coolflex, I just received my entire kit, frame, headboard and top, in the light tan color. Talk to Jim Wilko, tell him Larry from Texas referred ya, I about wore him out.

#29 ·
new buckethead

another thing... cert of origin .... if u buy parts u most like will not get one..a whole kit u will.. this gives u a vin number that dmv likes.. buying a started project is the best for cost, but sometimes u will need to ripe it apart and start over for they screwed up... building from scratch= KEEP ALL RECEIPT'S.. and put them in a 3 ring binder.. u need to prove things.. engine/trans= get vin from car they came from on the receipt.
the old term is vital.. CYA.. cover your *****. go to dmv or ck online and printout the spec's u need.. blinkers, wiper, fenders, etc....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.