Knowing what you have - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Knowing what you have

As some of you know,I'm building a turbo SBC.
I got the motor and trans on a swap for another car. The motor was put together in Dec 2008 as a blower motor and has only dyno time on it.
There was a ton of speculation on what I actually had, several diffent cams were thought, the guy I got it from kept calling it a "358" instead of the 0.040 over 357 I was sure it was and on and on.
When I pulled the blower I obviously knew it was a FT cam, had custom comp push rods and 1.6 intake 1.5 exhaust roller rockers. Ufortunatly the rest was speculation and 2 old guys memories.
Today I dragged the guy I bought it from down to the shop that built it, payed the $20 to have him get the files out of archives and copy it for me.
So now I know
Mostly good news and hopefully help me reach my 750-800whp goals
Eagle 3.75 crank, PN#4350375057LA
Eagle 6" rods, PN#CRS6000B3D
Wiseco forged pistons, PN#PT097H4 28cc dish
Crane cam, PN# 113821
226/234@0.050
288/296
458/473 (has 1.6 rocker on intake)
114LSA
The rest is standard fair, ARP Studs etc etc
Victor JR heads. 2.08/1.6
5 angle valve job
Manley valves
Ported
Cloyes double roller etc.
Gives me 385ci, 8.3:1 compression.

The rest of the build is VS racing 76mm GT45
Victor JR intake
Huge by large inter cooler
CSU 750
cSU Carb hat
Msd 6AL
MSD BTM
Forward facing turbo headers

Trans is listed as a "race prepped" full manual TH400
Converter is a Transmission Specialties 9"3500 stall
That's about it

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

Cool, sounds like it's going to be a fun ride! My 383 has 26cc dish pistons and 6" rods but with 57cc heads. Would love to put larger chamber heads and a blower or turbo.

Good luck with your build!
Old 06-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0trbo4myCHEVUICK View Post
Cool, sounds like it's going to be a fun ride! My 383 has 26cc dish pistons and 6" rods but with 57cc heads. Would love to put larger chamber heads and a blower or turbo.

Good luck with your build!
Thanks! Yah, always wanted a turbo car....and when this and the Monte its getting a home in, fell into my lap I was pretty happy
I have a couple hundred bucks bet that it will be running and make at least 650whp by mid July lol.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

That extra stroke you didn't know you had should help get you a lot closer to your goals.Good Luck.It sounds like it's goin good.I been kinda keepin up with your build.Just don't know much about turbos,so,i'm just keepin up.LOL.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerZ71 View Post
That extra stroke you didn't know you had should help get you a lot closer to your goals.Good Luck.It sounds like it's goin good.I been kinda keepin up with your build.Just don't know much about turbos,so,i'm just keepin up.LOL.
Yah that was a pleasant surprise for sure. I was getting so aggravated, I had called the builder a couple weeks back, said "he would pull the file" then said it had an XE268 in it. Whatever, is what it is, but when me and the old fart (said in respect, I love the old coot) that owned it started arguing about cam and compression and him swearing it was a "358" I made the dyslexic old fart come with me today to get the damn paperwork on it lol. It cost me $20 but I'm OK with that when I found it was a 385ci lol....we both laughed at that.
Pretty excited to find out how much abuse the Eagle internals can actually take.
Sad thing is, there's a pretty big chunk of change in the bottom end, and I will likely get greedy and break it, then go to the wreckers and pick up a 5.3LS for $600 and re gasket and make more power longer with that lol.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:40 AM

look close at the flow numbers on the Vic jr heads(especially mid flow)look at your rocker choice.
I dont see the LS 5.3 making more power with stock heads
Old 06-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
look close at the flow numbers on the Vic jr heads(especially mid flow)look at your rocker choice.
I dont see the LS 5.3 making more power with stock heads
I have numbers on the heads after he worked on them.
I assume he is starting at 0.200
135/115
180/151
225/190
270/210
305/219

Looks comparable with an AFR 210 head I beilve. Can't check now at work to compare but will look tonight.
The power potential is there with a Gen1 SBC for sure, but for reliability it would take an aftermarket block and big money internals. There are many many guys running around with 700-800hp turbo LS motors that are seemingly bullet proof. My advantage is I have peanuts in this motor right now, so I'm not real afraid to hurt it. I'm not going to abandon the standard SBC just yet lol. If it stays together over the summer and I get a grasp on tuning and living with 600+ HP then over the winter I can do a cam swap to something serious and then up the Turbo size and see what it will take. If it does have a huge failure then its actually cheaper to do an almost stock 5.3 then build a "tough" Gen 1 motor again.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:09 AM
More for Less Racer

I'm not terribly familiar with Eagle part numbering, is that a forged crank and H-beams, or cast crank and SIR I beam rods??

If forged and H's with Wiseco's your rotator is solid, you're just a Dart Sportsman block away from a real tough assembly, as guys are running pretty hard on Eagle forged cranks and H's with no problems....may want to consider that over the winter, swap it into a better block. You have a pretty good head, just need some more cam.

You'll be changing a lot of stuff to go LS...oil pan, accessory drive, motor mounts, exhaust, turbo plumbing, etc, it will add up fast beyond the price of the core LS engine.

LS is great if starting from scratch tho'
Old 06-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
I'm not terribly familiar with Eagle part numbering, is that a forged crank and H-beams, or cast crank and SIR I beam rods??

If forged and H's with Wiseco's your rotator is solid, you're just a Dart Sportsman block away from a real tough assembly, as guys are running pretty hard on Eagle forged cranks and H's with no problems....may want to consider that over the winter, swap it into a better block. You have a pretty good head, just need some more cam.

You'll be changing a lot of stuff to go LS...oil pan, accessory drive, motor mounts, exhaust, turbo plumbing, etc, it will add up fast beyond the price of the core LS engine.

LS is great if starting from scratch tho'
Yes sir, 4340 forged crank and H beam rods.
If it lives all summer I hadn't considered an aftermarket block.
No clue what they are worth but if I need to re bearing and re ring with a new block I may be cheaper then going LS in the end.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:14 PM

Last photo:

Ive seen Little M blocks for 2900 or a little less around here; Ive seen the SHP blocks for $1900-2100ish. The SHP block is a pretty gnarly piece, and there are guys pushing them pretty hard, but I don't know which you'd prefer. Thoughts?
Old 06-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
Ive seen Little M blocks for 2900 or a little less around here; Ive seen the SHP blocks for $1900-2100ish. The SHP block is a pretty gnarly piece, and there are guys pushing them pretty hard, but I don't know which you'd prefer. Thoughts?
And there's where I have a stumbling block......there are many many LS guys on stock blocks, hell completely stock bottom ends in fact making 800+HP and abused every weekend..... if my stock Gen1 block lives at that power level then great, but if its the actual block and not the rotater that get hurt I would be hard pressed to not pick up a couple 5.3's. Even with acesories, oil pan and mounts I could do an LS motor and have a spare on a stand for back up for less then the cost of a little M block alone.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

And to add, if I delete power steering which I had planned when I stumble across a manual S10 box, and I keep 90% of my hotside, then keep and use the blow through Carb its even easier to go LS
Old 06-10-2014, 02:56 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
We bought a brand new SBC 400 Dart SHP from Speedway Motors last year for our Sprint Car for around $1700.00 so you are close to $1900.00 if adding shipping. We drove up there and picked ours up.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:10 PM
More for Less Racer

Seems like CNC Blocks Northeast has been advertising the SHP checked/honed/lifter bores honed and ready to assemble for $1400-ish shipped
Old 06-10-2014, 04:33 PM

I think my dart block was 2250?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.