knuckles - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2002, 05:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post knuckles

Does anyone know if Herb Adams still makes Knuckles? Know anyone who does? I would like to build a suspension for rods, but don't know where to find knuckles. question number 2: could I make a spindle weldment? If I need to go to the drawing board and calculate the stresses, I guess I neeed to. would like to use what has been learned though.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2002, 06:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I don't know about where you live, but here there is no welding allowed on any steering component. If you die or kill someone driving your car with the modified component your insurance is void. All steering components must be forged medium carbon steel, this is an area where I would leave well enough alone unless you can find something close to what you need and modify the control arms or some other part of the suspension to accomplish what you want (funny that is not illegal?).

BTW what is it you want to do?
Old 06-08-2002, 03:51 PM

Thanks, at least I can eliminate that idea.
Old 06-08-2002, 05:23 PM

Last journal entry: some more body shots
Last photo:

Bugsy What are you trying to do here. I'm alittle lost. I fab brackets and frames,I might be able to help you
Old 08-03-2002, 07:28 PM

My short term intentions concerned lowering the front end of my project Dart, while keeping the geometry the same as stock. In the long run, I was hoping that a weldment was aviable option for spindles. It is a lot cheaper and easier than whittling the pieces out of a block. I had recalled that stock car builders had made spindles from weldments, but that was on a track, where the leagal requirements are different. I have plans for a scratch built rod where this would come in handy, but it may prove unfeasible.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:56 PM

My best friend has a 69 mach 1 with Fat Man Fabrications dropped spindles on it. They are machined out of probably 1" plate with a hole bored for the spindle to press into. Then, if I remember correctly, the balljoint mounts are machined separatly and then welded on. The steering arm is welded on also. I kind of chuckeled when we pulled them out of the box the first time, but figured that they must be okay or they wouldn't be selling them. so now after about 6 or 7 years, they have given no trouble what-so-ever. It would be up to you but If I were to build some I would start with a billit and machine them out completley then press the spindle with a shoulder on it, from the back. good luck.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.