Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   Krist Kustoms Needs Your Input.....Please and Thank You (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/krist-kustoms-needs-your-input-please-thank-you-103987.html)

kristkustoms 12-06-2006 08:03 PM

Krist Kustoms Needs Your Input.....Please and Thank You

Every winter Ididit (steering column company) does street rod oriented seminars. These are held at their facility on saturdays and are open to the public. Its sort of based on a first come first serve basis, as they only let in 225 people due to the space and to keep it more personal. I have been told they have turned some people away in the past because it was too full.

Anyway, Jane asked me to do one of the seminars (on interiors of course) this february. My question to you is what types of things would you want to hear if you attended this seminar? The seminar is from 10am to 2pm, but factoring in breaks and a catered lunch and time alotted for questions i probably dont have that much time to speak. I have been thinking about doing something about how to build a basic panel and how to cover said panel. Headliner work will definitely be covered, i by far get the most questions about headliners. Then of course the basic stuff like the tools of the trade, supplies needed, etc etc. I was going to take it from two angles, some hints and tips for the do-it-yourselfer, and another angle for the type of guy preparing his car to take to the upholstery shop; what to do with wiring, stereo work, mounting air conditioning components so it wont conflict with the interior, etc.

So anyway, let me know what you would like to hear if you attended this seminar, after all, i am doing this seminar for people like you!

claybro 12-06-2006 10:42 PM

input to questions kirst kustoms

:) I believe your seminars are a fantastic thing for the do it yourself hotrodder. I would be willing to drive up from chicago next time you have one on headliner install. most likely just about any subject would be of value.

OneMoreTime 12-06-2006 11:02 PM

Some of the tricks on doing a seat cover install would be good..some lists of suppliers maybe..working with contact adhesives..making a simple seat cushion and back for a rat rod kind of car..??

I woudl like to see that but distance is an issue.. :pain:

Sam

locknkey 12-07-2006 05:23 AM

The more the merrier....

Sure you could do it around your area, but here on this site, you'll be able to reach more people...that has a better interest (than the few that is just trying to please the boss and go because they have to) Not to mention that it would be cheaper in the long run, considering the aspects of catering to a large group of people that will have more questions because they can't see the detailed stuff very well where they could be seated.
If you had a good digital cameraman that could take close up shots of what you're explaining in a detailed explanatory way....it would make that picture worth more than a thousand words. Your experance would be well rationed and worth it here....

kristkustoms 12-07-2006 05:40 AM

Let me clarify this whole thing a little. I am not putting the Seminar on, Ididit Inc. is putting it on. I was asked by Jane from Ididit Inc. to come speak at this seminar, Ididit does not draw a profit from this event (and neither do I). Its done simply to help out street rodders. I believe there is a small admission fee to get into the seminar, which pays for the catering for lunch. This is a one time event for me, im not doing multiple seminars, so i need to cover the most common questions people have, thats why im asking here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by locknkey
Sure you could do it around your area, but here on this site, you'll be able to reach more people...that has a better interest (than the few that is just trying to please the boss and go because they have to)

No one attending the seminar has to go. It is open to the public, they choose to be there.

I will be using a Powerpoint presentation with plenty of pictures.

35WINDOW 12-07-2006 08:12 AM

I think you've covered it pretty well-I too am curious about Headliner's, how to cover panels, Materials. How about the design of these type of Panels?

With my project I am trying to learn how to make the supports for the Panels, Top Bows, best place to buy Materials and basic construction-

38Chevy3WCoupe 12-07-2006 11:40 AM

Shawn,
I think you are right on with your ideas. Absolutely need to cover headliners, especially one-piece. I also think you might address the areas that seem to give us DIYers problems. Things like getting a smooth corner without puckers, and how to work around areas like hinges and door latches. I would suggest that you bring some samples of things like foam, fleece, material, etc. to suppliment the PowerPoint overheads. I know I like to "touch and feel" to help the learning experience.

I'll keep my eye on the schedule. This is a seminar I want to attend.

Good luck,
Ed

Kruzin Karl 12-07-2006 04:07 PM

Where exactly is Iditit's location?

home brew 12-07-2006 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kruzin Karl
Where exactly is Iditit's location?

ididit inc. 610 South Maumee Street - Tecumseh, Michigan 49286. Phone: 517-424-0577 / Fax: 517-424-7293. www.ididitinc.com/

Shawn - I think what you have mentioned has covered what most of us are looking for. I think one thing that would be of help is what the rod builder should do when building a rod to make sure the upholstery will be able to be attached to the body.

It would be nice if it would be possible for you to put your presentation including the pics and written notes on the board either in the Knowledge Base or in the Crankshaft Coalition Wiki. That way those of us that can not attend will get the benefit of all your work.

Dutchman 12-08-2006 08:26 AM

Shawn,

Your agenda looks good. Is the panel section going to include basic pattern designs also? What about seat belt aligning, positioning of support mounting and run out of the belt itself?

Dutch

locknkey - recommend you do your research on board for all the great professional advice given by a member before blasting.

locknkey 12-08-2006 10:40 AM

Blasting?

There isn't any "blasting" here, he asked for a comment or suggestion... and gotten many to think about.
Dutchman:
Don't "read" into a suggestion where there is no comment about blasting.

kristkustoms 12-08-2006 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchman
What about seat belt aligning, positioning of support mounting and run out of the belt itself?

Although i agree that that would be very helpful, i won't touch seat belt stuff with a 10 foot pole.

OneMoreTime 12-08-2006 08:43 PM

Seat Belt reference

This is the only one I will use for seat belt installations.. http://www.sfifoundation.com/ Also check your race rule for any local predudice about seat belt installs..

Even on street rigs I follow this although in that case I may use the three point as found in modern cars..

Seat belts and safety gear go in first..then the interior guy works around that as far as I am concerned..

Just my take on belts...

Sam

jeeptuff 12-08-2006 09:54 PM

What I would like to see, is covering a dimensional panel. So lets say you build a flat door panel, cover with 1/4" closed cell foam, then you cut say a flame pattern out of 1/8 inch closed cell foam, center (to your liking) and glue to existing 1/4" foam on panel. The part that gets me, and I have tried several times is when you lay your fabric, leather, twead or what ever you are using, how to get the material to lay down so nice around the flame.. I just don't understand how it works or how to get nice end results.

Also if the entire presentation could be recorded and possibally be purchased as a DVD would be great. I am in the Seattle area, so the chances of making it to that seminar are slim to none.

As always I enjoy your work, it inspires me to try to learn even more, thus a DVD would be :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ..

willys36@aol.com 12-09-2006 01:58 PM

I would be very interested in seeing a 1-piece headliner go in. Like the one in a 40's Willys which is basically a hemisphere. Also, a primer on creating and covering dimensional panels would be super. Oh, and how to repair a 1" round melted spot in carpeting right under the steering wheel made by your trouble light would be VERY helpful. Don't ask why I brought that up.