Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - L-31 compression ratio and piston type?
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 02:10 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

you can run 10:1 on stock iron vortecs too, especially in that light of a car.

Aluminum can tolerate more compression, but it also requires more compression to match the power of iron heads, so you really don't gain anything.

I'm not saying those heads are a bad choice, just that they won't get you the most power per dollar. Edelbrock cams aren't that great either. By getting a custom ground cam (for about the same price or maybe even less), you can pick up a lot of power.

Those parts you chose are not terrible, but if you're going to spend that much money I would do some more shopping and I would read up a lot more about waht you can do. Also, define your exact goals. At this point you're basically at ground zero and can build anything from 300-500hp at roughly the same price (give or take $500). 500hp isn't alwasy what you need though, some times off idle control is much more important, sometimes you want something that can run on 87 octane, sometimes you want something else.

Define your goals.
Educate yourself.
Shop around.
Ask Questions!

Good Luck on your build!