Hot Rod Forum banner

L-82 Vette Engine

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Biggarmike 
#1 ·
I thought a few months ago when I sold my 67 Camaro that I would never have to deal with one of those ugly orange engines again. A couple of days ago my wife bought a tired 76 L82 4 speed vette. (wants it to be her most of the time driver), with as many ponies as can be fed with pump gas normally aspirated, no Nitrous. Is the L82 version a good starting point? I'm guessing that decent heads, 10:1, dual plane manifold, better flowing exhaust, and a mild cam should put this in the 325HP range and still be streetable.
Come on bow tie boys, am I expecting too much?
Matching numbers, so a crate motor is out of the question.

#2 ·
My advice is, sell the car to me, I'll take good care of it. Seriously though, 325 horses should be no problem, even with the original heads (even with crappy heads). But like I said, I'll take it off your hands, no problem! :D

#3 ·
The L-82 is just a 350 that got victimized by the smog era. I believed it max'd out at about 200 horsepower. Compression in those days was maybe 9:1, with most at 8.5. Rather uninspired! I think that you could improve on that.

#5 ·
I'm thinking that a rebuild of the original would be preferable, I've allready got one extra smallblock (a 383 stroker that needs AV gas to run properly) and actually enjoy doing the work. I found the specs for L-82 option, 210 HP, 9:1 with catalytic converter, no air pump. Those heads are 76cc? If I have to go .030 over (100K miles, sounds likely) I'll go for pistons that will give me 10 or 10.5:1, and look for a cam in the 215- .450" range. suggestions for cam and intake are welcomed. (btw, I'll take care of it nicely, thanks for the offer!)

[ October 24, 2002: Message edited by: Biggarmike ]</p>

#6 ·
Just finished going thru the same thing with my 77 L48 vette. In 77 the L48 had 180hp and the L82 210hp. They had smog heads [882s],low proformance cam, and dished pistons. The L48 had 8.5:1 comp.& the L82 9:1 comp. I changed to Dart 202 64cc heads,flat top pistons,RV style cam & elderbrock proformer intake & headers bumped it up from 180hp to 330hp and still kept comp.to 9.5:1 and still will run on pump gas. Hope to fire it up this weekend. Hope this helps a little and good luck.

#7 ·
I agree with Deuce Roadster, I have a 80 and it will never be a classic,I gave the 350 to a friend, I built a small block 427 with a 67 cross ram intake plus a complete body makeover.
GM has a garage sale going on rite now and you can get a 350-375 hp motor for $1650. with warrenty all it needs is a carb and distributer. Just keep the old motor for matching #s
Heres the site, they have all the performance parts on sale. You have to go to the dealer site for the prices. (Its one of those things.)A little hassel but worth it.

[ October 24, 2002: Message edited by: 1BAD80 ]

[ October 24, 2002: Message edited by: 1BAD80 ]</p>

#8 ·
Hotrod mag Oct90 did a motor it was a stock 350 replacement motor with 7.8:1 compression,and stock 1.94/1.50 heads.With a Crane cam 216/228@050 454/480lift,750DP,Holley contender intake and 1 5/8 headers it putout 297HP and 355lb/ft.And another article with the same except ported heads,015 head gaskets,decked heads put out 336HP and something like 380lb/ft.
Try looking up "Goodwrench 350 Quest" in google Thats how I found the 336HP motor.
Also I think your motor has 881 casting 2.02s 8.5:1. I'd say with like a similar split proile cam a duel plane intake,Holley,and headers and duel you'll pull 300Horse.

#10 ·
There is nothing wrong with up grading the stock L82 but the numbers thing means you have a lot of rebuild work to put it back STOCK for the numbers freaks.

Sit the L82 aside and build what you want. The numbers will be OK sitting on the floor while you and the little lady have fun in the Vette.

Just my 2 cents........

#11 ·
I started on the job yesterday. The ## match will be on the stand this evening after work. I have discussed it with the warden. She has decided on color, interior, etc. Since it will be wrong color, interior and all that, screw the numbers. If she wants sunfire yellow, she gets it. I'll plan to build a separate 350 or 383 stroker. I've got a friend who is a big block junkie. If he has an "extra" 454 laying around his shop I may even go that route! (if I can find the proper brackets for acessories)

I had a little fun with the vette boys at a show this weekend. I told them that rebuilding the steering system on the vette would be very easy, I've got lots of Falcon and Maverick parts laying around the shop! Their reactions were priceless!

#13 ·
I like your style. Going from worrying about numbers to worrying about horsepower.

I say cars were built to drive, screw the numbers.
I yanked out my numbers matching 327 and slapped in a high reving 210lbs of compression firebreathing 377 and now my numbers not matching at all dipps down in the 11s on street tires! Did I mention the 12pnt roll cage?

hehe

lee

#14 ·
I checked it out, 2 bolt, 126cc heads, open chamber no application stamps, correct casting #, cheap timing chain, no oil pump, timing cover, or oil pan. I suspected a crate motor or a marine application. the owner copped to it being a marine motor which was retrieved from a sunken boat and rebuilt with stock dimension parts. I'll pass. If that by chance is the reverse rotation side, It will cost me more to straighten it out than find another. (still looking)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.