L-88 cam - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2003, 08:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

L-88 cam

Anyone running a soild lift L-88 cam, and if so, how do you like it??
I'm thinking of running one in a 396.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2003, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

There are far better cams for big block chevies, the L-88 was made for larger cube motors, and for old race course type conditions. Too much duration for a 396, try something in the Crane or Comp cams line with shorter duration and more lift. Too much duration means soggy bottom end, lousy throttle response, no pulling power till the upper revs and then a short power peak.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

The L88 cam is pretty hot.It is comparable to maybe a 305 comp hydraulic as far as idle quality goes,but it makes more power.In a 396,it isnt a daily driver cam.It would like about 12:1 compression{anything under 10.5:1 will be lazy}.The L88 cam in a 396 would run great with about 12:1,rectangular port GM heads or most aftermarket 310cc heads,a good single plane like the 454R edelbrock and a 1050 carb and 2" headers,with a 5000 stall convertor and 5.13 gears with 30" tall tires the combo will run mid 10's at sea level in a 3200# car shifting at about 7200rpm.Good luck.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:20 PM

Hey, I sure appreciate the help. I'm trying to decide what cam I want to go with. I am building a 396 that is .060 over, it has 10.3:1 compression ratio with 113cc head with the 2.19 intake and the corresponding exhaust (dont remember the size), big tube fender well headers, rpm air gap intake, and roller rockers.
Any ideas would be a big help. I really want the radical idle, but I dont want it to be a slug. The performer rpm cam has crossed my mind also. I'll mainly use the car for cruises , but of course I'm gonna dog it too.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:46 AM

Hey,

I'v got L88 2nd design cam in my 65 Corvette. I can smoke the tires all the way thru First and 2nd just by punching the gas. Dont even have to dump the clutch. I can burn em in 2nd while just rolling and stabbing the accelerator. My 396 is .030 over, 10.25, oval port heads, single plane holley street dominator, and 750 CFM dbl pumper with 50cc Reo. 411 rear doesn't hurt either. My idle is about 1000 rpm with about 7 inches of vacuum. The idles sounds cool as hell thru Heddman headers connected to factory side exhaust. blap blap It really shakes the windows of cars next to me at the light

No pulling power at the bottom end? You must be kidding!
Old 11-04-2003, 09:06 AM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Skool 55
Hey, I sure appreciate the help. I'm trying to decide what cam I want to go with. I am building a 396 that is .060 over, it has 10.3:1 compression ratio with 113cc head with the 2.19 intake and the corresponding exhaust (dont remember the size), big tube fender well headers, rpm air gap intake, and roller rockers.
Any ideas would be a big help. I really want the radical idle, but I dont want it to be a slug. The performer rpm cam has crossed my mind also. I'll mainly use the car for cruises , but of course I'm gonna dog it too.

Id use the L-88 before Id use the RPM cam....you basicaly have what I had in a 67 Impala, (402) I had a stock bottom end, stock oval ports, (not penut ports) 2" headers and a Holley single plane with a 800dp, I used the comp cams 274X with matching valvesprings with good results...and it had a nice lope at idle..It pulled hard all the way to 6000, and had tremendous off idle torque.......also in say a 3600lb car, 3.73's are more than enough...I did have Erson Roller rockers and top quality pushrods, but for a stock bottom end 402, it was a real torque monster...There are better combo's out there but for street and cruising it doesnt get much better...and I used only 89 octane pump gas in it also, I might have been able to run 87 but I never tried it....

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.