L67 3800 V6 Motor mount questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

L67 3800 V6 Motor mount questions

I'm putting on in my 72 Nova. Can anyone offer any suggestions on motor mounts. The only RWD configuration the 3800 V6 came in was the f-body's. Those mounts will not work in my Nova. So, I either have to build something from scratch or modify and existing mount. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Old & Furious

3800 from a front wheel drive car is not going to be an easy swap. Do you have the rwd model of the engine or are you trying to make the fwd engine work.

I have to ask why. Most build are either done for fun or speed. i dont think you are going to get either from this combo. the 3800 was fast in a berretta but in the nova it will be slow and not properly cammed.

If you want gas milage why not go for a turbo iron duke four banger. its a nice engine and will be able to work in a nova also I think mounts will be a lot easier to find.

Now for a 3800 no mounts will fit period they are not mounted the same way and will never work with the older car stuff that is out there. You will either need custom mounts or a front motor plate. Engine plates may be easier for you to build at home but mounts are not that bad if you have a welder and some scratch to play with. some boxed steel and some plate steel should allow you to make just about any type of mount you will need.

What trans are you using and do you have a mount for that already. This will be important to make sure atleast one of your mounts is very strong.

fyi the iron duke is stil used today for arca racing. its called the sd4 or superduty 4 in the race trim. but lots of parts and easy to find stuff is out there for that motor.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:21 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

I don't know about a turbo Iron Duke over a Supercharged 3800 buick. The turbo 3.8Ls had no problem pushing G and F bodies around quite quickly, and the naturally aspirated L36 pushed around a few heavy 4th gens as well. I'd rather have the buick mill. Bigger, was equipped with forced induction stock, has a considerable aftermarket and it's every bit as tough as any iron duke.

You're going to want the 4L60E or T-5 from a V6 f-body as far as transmissions go, depending on whether you want an auto or manual. I'd order a set of f-body motor mounts and play around to see if you can't adapt them. They're probably only a couple bucks on rockauto.com

btw, the FWD and RWD blocks should have identical provisions for mounts in the Series II 3800s. My concern would be more along the lines of electrical, ignition, emissions controls and gauges working properly than motor mounts. If you can weld and own a sawzall, you could make anything fit in anything. Just ask this guy:

Old 02-14-2013, 06:41 AM

Last photo:

I have a non-supercharged 3800 in my 2000 Bonneville and it moves right along. With minor mods(under $1k) to the supercharged version nd your pushing 300 hp and 300+ ft-lbs of torque. My Nova is 600 pounds lighter than the Bonnie so I should have plenty of go power. The beauty of it is I will have a modern drive train and 25+mpg.

They put the n/a 3800 in the 4th gen Camaros and Firebirds with the 4L60E. The fwd n/a and supercharged 3800 is the same block so the 4L60E will bolt right up with and F-body flex plate. I've got the PCM programming, wiring, fuel system, gauges, exhaust and pretty much everything sorted out.

I'm just trying to save a few bucks by doing the engine mounts myself. I can weld a bit so if it's not to complex I can save myself $500-$700. I was just seeing if anyone had any suggestions. The factory F-body 3800 mount appear to be an aluminum forging which I wouldn't feel confident cutting and welding. They would have to be cut as they are fairly long on the motor side.....

I suppose I could use the motor side to make a template and build off of that.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

the 3800 is nothing more than an updated 231 buick v6
I'm willing to be the mounts for a mid 70's buick nova clone or g-body will work.. other than metric bolts into the block..
Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

I thought of that too, but can't find anything to support it. I did pull up a picture of the 79 Firebird mount and it doesn't look remotely similar.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
3800 from a front wheel drive car is not going to be an easy swap. Do you have the rwd model of the engine or are you trying to make the fwd engine work.
The FWD and RWD versions of the 3800 Series II/III use EXACTLY the same block. All bolt holes and mounting provisions are exactly the same. The RWD 3800 used in the F-body cars is the SAME block as the FWD 3800s. Why won't this "different block" myth die?

To the OP:

What's the problem with the F-body mounts? Is it the crossmember location in the Nova?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
the 3800 is nothing more than an updated 231 buick v6
I'm willing to be the mounts for a mid 70's buick nova clone or g-body will work.. other than metric bolts into the block..
Yeah, but...

The castings are different, heads are completely different, with different port locations. I don't know if the motor mount locations are common with those on the earlier blocks. Keep in mind that the 225/231 Buick V6 was never installed in a rear steer car, so the motor mounts may not be able to move far enough forward to mount on the Nova crossmember.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

Joe,

If you look at the picture I included of the F-body mounts you will see one is offset. That's the passenger side mount so the offset sets it towards the rear of the engine. The other problem is their length. I'm not sure how long they are but if you compare the engine side bracket to pics of say a 350 chevy mount for a nova the engine side is half the length.

I guess I could just buy the mounts and use them to make a template for custom side engine brackets.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing98 View Post
Joe,

If you look at the picture I included of the F-body mounts you will see one is offset. That's the passenger side mount so the offset sets it towards the rear of the engine. The other problem is their length. I'm not sure how long they are but if you compare the engine side bracket to pics of say a 350 chevy mount for a nova the engine side is half the length.

I guess I could just buy the mounts and use them to make a template for custom side engine brackets.

Thanks for the responses.
The length difference makes it look like the crossmember is significantly different. If the length isn't a problem, you could use two driver side mounts, for example, or two passenger side and swap them side-for-side if that works better. Otherwise, yeah, you're probably going to have to fabricate something.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 AM

Last photo:

nice thought, but the block bolt patterns are different for each side of the motor.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

Mike,
I made my own motor mounts for my L67 in my Volvo. I had the trans mount set and trans bolted in place while the engine/trans hung on a hoist. I started by welding mounting plates on the cross member in the approximate position. I used Jaguar motor mounts, like these Terrys Jaguar Parts - Engine Mounts . I bolted these to the plates. I bolted 1/4" plates about 2" square to the motor mounts with the 1/2" bolts. Then with the engine in the correct position I started looking for unused bolt holes on the motor, made tabs from 1/4" flat bar and/or angle iron attached to the bolt holes and used various lengths of 3/4" square tube ( square tube is much easier to cut matching angles on both ends, rather than round tube) to run between the tabs and the square plates. IIRC the driver side mount uses 3 legs and the pass side uses 2. Everything is fit and tacked, removed and finish welded and painted and reinstalled. I'll try and take some pics of the installed mounts today.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

I just added 3 photos to my album. If you enlarge them it shows how I did them.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:18 PM

Jaguar Mounts

I found the same mounts at New and Used Jaguar Parts for XJ6, XJS, XJ8, XK8, S-TYPE and X-TYPE just FYI they have everything Jaguar related

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.