Hot Rod Forum banner

L98 transplant wiring questions.

5K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Brocksdad1 
#1 ·
Hello folks

My name is Bryce
I have been working on a 83 K10 installing a nice 89 L98 out of a vette. Now I have the engine in, pair of Dougs Tri-Y headers on. I have the VSS to install yet. I have a in-tank 89 Vette fuel pump installed but not wired. I am deleting the smog,vats,and egr on it. The Prom has already been programed.

Here is where I hope that some of you folks great knowledge can come in. I am a heavy equipment tech. I have a strong background in electrical work. But I also know you cant put that magic smoke back in once it escapes.
I have read and printed off all the info at Chevy Thunder and found that most of it is for the LS1. And there are a few things left out.

Now I believe I have the correct pink/black wires separated for the fuse box. also the VSS wires.
I am not to sure on the fan power wires
Fuel relay power wires or where it gets its power and what wires to send to the pump.
what to make key on and what to make battery all the time.

I will be using the A/C in the future but at the moment that is not the priority.
Just knowing all the correct relays, sensors, wires ECT ECT would be great.

I am using the factory Vette harness. I am sure that I have it all because I pulled the engine and the harness myself and took everything that the car had inside and out.

If there is a swap that has been done and documented on here I could not find it. I would appreciate all the help and leads I can get.

thanks so much.

Bryce

See less See more
#6 ·
L98s in box-stock form make a lot of torque till about 5,000rpms. GM *SHOULD* have put the 350 TPI in a truck. Most of the race car guys (and the guys who race benches) like to see small block engines go 6,000rpm plus; but for a street car thats really a waste for 99% of what you do on the street.
An L98 is a GREAT cruising engine. Theres a couple guys here who play with these extensively; Northstar T is one. The other is named Jim, from Binghamton, NY and for the life of me I cant remember his "handle".

Northstar T: I love your "truck"!

#7 ·
The only thing I race are drag slot cars 1/24 scale lol. I had the prom reprogrammed to a z28 program. It's a 4x4 factory stance truck with a 700r in it. I'll be driving the highway with it pulling my little tracker boat about 150 miles one way. So it's no racer just a nice reliable driver. Hopefully.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
. I used to have the 1962 Chevy sales literature booklet since I toured the local factory back then (50th Anniversary) because my brother was working there... prolly still laying around somewheres...

. My Fiero is stock... most I considered for it was maybe a 3.0L crankshaft in the 2.5L 4-banger... to make it bigger than the stock 2.8L V6's... but I do have a TPI 350" truck engine in my '87 GTA...

. This guy keeps deleting the comments I make on his Fiero... don't think it has anywhere near the power he claims... what do you think?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFF3syhBrwc

#13 ·
Its excellent that you have the complete harness. Best move ever IMHO.
What you need is a compete wiring diagram.
I have a Mitchell with 80-97 wiring for EFI and may be able to help.
Do you need a wiring diagram?
What year engine is it and is the ECM and harness for same or ?
The tuned port was designed for torque in the low and midrange rpm of the engine. Should make a real strong tow /cruiser.

#16 ·
I have 89 engine,harness and computer.

Chevy Thunder doesn't have much to help because it's mostly camaro. Seems like the harness are different. At least a little. My injectors have blk/ppl blk/grn. Also there is no injector connector under the dash. My blk/pnk were all in the A-M connection. Witch through me for a loop. I had my computer,my phone,tablet,Chevy Thunder print out and my 87 GM vette dealer manual wiring diagrams to finally figure it all out.

Thing is I'm not sure what year harness I have. The injector wire colors are different from what's supposed to be 89 I think. Thing is I only have a 87 dealer manual. I can't get a 89. If anyone has a 89 vette harness diagram I would be grateful.

I intend on doing a full write up on this particular installation once done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.