Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - lacqer primer over sealer primer
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 10:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't usually have much to say about paint unless I see someone about to make the same mistakes I once did and of the things I needed to learn about that was causing my problems lacquer probably topped the list! I just could not understand why after a few weeks or so I could still see sand scratches if the light was just right and sometimes they were apparent at anytime. I had already figured out that lacquer could not be applied heavy otherwise sandscratchs showing in the paint and seeing the edge of a repair after painting was almost inevitable but switching to 2 part epoxy and urethane primers eliminated these problems. Even if the lacquer did not shrink, which it WILL, if I understand this right the lacquer thinner can cause most surfaces to absorb solvents causing them to swell slightly, shrinking back long after the finish paint has been applied. Lacquer caused me many problems that simply went away with the switch to the 2k primers and as I said before if a person is really tied to a tight budget then the economy 2k is cheaper to use and far better so using lacquer makes zero sense. These problems with scratches showing, etc are not glaring flaws that standout like heavy sandscratches (not usually anyway but sometimes they are!) that were not properly finished but they are quite apparent to most people although I suppose they may be acceptable to others so I guess it just depends on how much pride a person takes in their work. Lacquer primer is junk and it's faults are well known, it will ruin otherwise nice paintwork and with the materials available today it just simply makes no sense to use it!