Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - lacqer primer over sealer primer
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 09:17 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
i have been a painter for 40 years. i dont do it as a hobby. lacquer is one of the hardest paints to use properly. it is also misused by most people who use it. people use it because they cant paint and think it wont run or sag so it must be easier. wrong. it is to be applied wet and thin. just about every home job done in lacquer will have a life of about a year. then it will check and have to be removed. any solvent will soak into and lift it including gas.

just for the record if you have to sand and buff lacquer you did it wrong.
Shine, the best lasting lacquer job I did was a purple candy job that got shot all in one day with the clear going on unreduced, wet and thick-totally opposite of what you're claiming. It held up for quite a few years and spent a few of those years in the Nevada sun uncovered. Many years ago an old timer told me the two most common mistake people make when shooting lacquer is over reducing and dryspraying, he claimed if the paint was over reduced that the paint lost some of the resin during evaporation. I have no idea if his claim is accurate but that candy job sure seemed to confirm he may be correct. I used lacquer for almost everything up untill about 1990.
Today I wouldn't use lacquer for anything.