lacquer thinne question - Page 12 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

and made a friend

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2009, 07:09 PM

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yes indeed
Old 07-18-2009, 12:14 PM

Last photo:

just finished sanding and blowing off the first layer of my putty... came in for a beer and a couple slices of pizza... about to go back out and wipe it down then apply a second coat of putty where needed , then sand and clean and glaze...and sand and clean...

simon
Old 07-18-2009, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

Okay finished applying my second coat of evercoat gold... went much easier the second time around... I may sand it tonight or it may have to sit till I get some time next weekend... but damn it is coming together WOW!!! after sanding next ... glaze then sand with 180.... right? then wait will I be ready to spray my epoxi???? I have a question say you were to use a 1/4 gallon of evercoat, when sanded (I am sanding till you can see thru it in most spots) with tons and tons of dust on the floor... so how much of it is really left on the car no where near the 1/4 gallon... seems like such a waste it is like getting that girl for the first time that you wanted for so long and then it is over with in seconds LOL!!!!

simon
Old 07-18-2009, 02:54 PM

the gold stuff is bondo,putty and glaze are the same thing...your glaze has a hardner,Right? you can apply the epoxy when ever you feel like it.....I always breeze over everything with 320 before primer but thats up to you.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

yes the the glaze has a hardener should I sand the glaze wih 180? I don't have any 320 I have some 400 though is that okay?
Old 07-18-2009, 03:09 PM

yup,sand glaze wit 180....sure 400 is fine (no pun) just dont wet sand it,dry sand,just a quick breeze over

Last edited by deadbodyman; 07-18-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

okay sounds great... I am almost done sanding the bondo , I have some small areas in it should I just fill these with glaze? what is the difference between the bondo and the glaze? is the glaze easier to sand?? I hope so LOL that is a whole lot of sanding ... I have done all around the roof and across the front visor... all the little areas and the body I can do with the glaze correct? is the glaze as strong as the bondo? grassahoppa's legs are tired from sanding put in about 6 solid hours of sanding... how much of inperfections will the epoxi hide? (not that I will have any hahah) just curious case I see these threads talking about little areas etc.. and people say don't worry about it you won't even notice it once it is primed.... I am getting anxious to prime... I find my self air painting LOL (sorta like air guitar) LOL... thanks agian massa for all your knowledge time and paitience

Old 07-18-2009, 08:14 PM

I use the glaze as others would use build primer,for me its faster and cheaper ...no masking or waiting for primer to dry...I'll sand up to 320 then a thin coat of primer...usualy one coat of bondo two coats of glaze will get you there,if you find you have some imperfections after you prime the glaze will work great on them....pinholes and sand scratches small dings etc...the glaze is like a thin ,soupy bondo that sands very ez...you'll like it... but you probably didnt need bondo on your roof just a little putty.but if you dont know how hard it CAN be you'll never appreciate the ez ways...bondo work took me the longest to master of all the differnt jobs at a body shop,NEVER use cheap bondo...a good gal of bondo is going to run twenty bucks at least....I've used Z-grip for many years and although I'm sure theres better ,more expensive stuff out there ,I know this works and wont take a chance on anything else,that is untill they price themselves out of the game like a lot of other stuff I've used.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:02 AM

Last photo:

ahhh I see... well I did need a little bondo since I wanted to kind of change the conture of the back of the roof .... it is funny i took a couple of pics of it and it looks like a ton of bondo , but it isn't it is almost see thru in most spots...I think I had about 75% of it on the floor as dust LOL..I am probably ready to do the glaze but I have the food tasteing so I probably won't get a chance till next weekend unless I get off early on day this week, but that is probably unlikely since it is the "summer rush" at work everyone wants a/c, or a trip check or something... it s funny we have had pretty nice weather all summer only a couple of days reaching 90 and only 2 over 95 and humidity has been very low... last week and this week humidity is going to be high and temps a little high and we get very busy when I don't want to be out there in the heat working on hot cars... but when it is cool nobody comes in , then the customers don't understand when you wont take them in that day , you tell them it is very hot in the shop no ac working on hot cars... so we have our work load and they bithc... now if they got out of there little a/c'ed offices and worked in the heat on hot hot cars they may think different, there response is its your job.... well it isn't my job to die so you can drive your car! anyway just a little bithcing LOL.... have a great day
simon
Old 07-19-2009, 08:54 AM

Well...I hope youve been wearing a mask when doing all that sanding and grinding if your gona be tasting good food ...your nose is responsible for 90% of your ability to taste ...a good hot shower really helps clean out the old snout...best of luck Simon.....
Old 07-19-2009, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

yeah I wear these 3M dust masks... they are pretty thick and have a little foam pad over the nose.... acutally work pretty well... even when block sanding I didn't get any black boogies LOL... just don't eat alot of onions or garlic before I use them or that is all you smell LOL... I'd like to get the body work done by next week so I can get it really cleaned up and get my booth ready then hopefully if we get a decent weekend low 80.s I plan on shooting the 2 coats of primer.... I was looking at the ful-thane directions they say mix 8:1:2 my cups don't have this equation on them... but I do have some cups 2.5 quart cups that have ounces on them..... am I right to think if I put 16 oz of paint, 2 oz of activator and 4 oz reducer? = 22oz of sprayable paint?
now my epoxi is easy same amout of primer as activator very easy :-) but to reduce for sealer not so easy.... say I put 20 oz of primer 20 oz of activator giving me 40oz of primer now reduce 25% so add 10 oz of reducer? totalling 50 oz of sealer? is my math correct??

Last edited by atichargr; 07-19-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:55 AM

you got the paint reduction right...reducing the epoxy is ez just mix with two cans ,say dog food cans...one for primer one for activator pour them into a big container then fill one can half way with reducer....its fool proof....well almost...two things to remember:let the epoxy cure for at least 4 hrs,I prefer overnight and get a disposable mask for painting NOT a paper one....O.K.? Heres a little trick for paint reduction.....get a aluminum ruler (12") use the inches as increments,like 4:1:1 would be 4"-1"-1" and 8:1:2 would be 8"-1"-2" but since you would need a 12" tall container you just divide everything in half so 8:1:2 is the same as 4"-1/2"-1" a total of 5 1/2 " simple eh? Thats just about a half gal of sprayable paint just about what you need.so get a gal container ,two qt containers and a couple cans,and something to pour your waste in with a top
Old 07-19-2009, 05:00 PM

Last photo:

yeah now paper mask for me..... how long can the sealer sit before paint? you say over night is best how about longer?

simon
Old 07-20-2009, 05:36 AM

you can let the epoxy sit as long as you like, just sand lightly before you paint...400-600 will do.....after four hours just tack the car and every time you feel some trash or dirt lightly sand that spot smooth then I scuff with a red scotch brite just for piece of mind but its not necessary unless its cured longer than four hours....Just for clarity,when I said disposable mask....your paint stores will have some charcoal paint masks that painters use,they come in a resealable bag ...their about twenty bucks

Last edited by deadbodyman; 07-20-2009 at 05:49 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.