lacquer thinne question - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 04:15 PM

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
So...Simon ,no need to get frustrated mabee I can help make it simple,after all I've had years of experiance being simple minded.Most importantly,always keep this in mind:There are many ways to do a paint job,many products out there many different qualities and costs.So heres what I suggest to you for a decent end result keep the cost low but use the best cheap stuff you can get(spending more will not help)it'll just cost that much more if something screws up.something that'll shine good for five years(next year you'll paint something else ,mabee sooner)dont use a cheap gun (a decent gun will go for 200 to 300.000)thats another thing that'll mess you up,you really need to know your gun and how the knobs work,get some really cheap paint and paint everything you want (like your tool box)get some practice."prep is everything" the actual painting is pretty EZ its all the other stuff that gives you trouble. So,you want to know what kind of material to use? I can help with that, I've used about everything
should I keep going?You might be a natural born painter ,you sound like you really want to learn.I remember when I was in your shoes.......Mike O.
yes please keep going.... I do really want to learn... I want this car to be done by me.... the satisfaction of knowing I did it is what I want... I am a ase recertified master auto tech with my L1 master emission repair license and my state inspection license ... so I know just about everything about the mechanics of cars ... I want to also konw the body and painting... I manage to weld on a new roof and visor... and am doing the body work now... and want to be able to paint as well... I am going paint my 92 mustang when I am done with this one... the 29 model A is for my wedding so I want to get it done.... I got my fresh air hood today with a 50 foot hose... so I am starting to accumulate what I need... I was planning on going with a base/clear from Kirker... a solid color..

simon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 05:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

OK,I was going to say something funny like ,with all those degrees and licences,..."yeah,but do you have a marrige licence"?but you beat me to it. Dont do that........Soooooo......I'll keep it simple ...Simon ,This is about painting and only paint no bodywork or buffing the products are what I'd do if I were YOU knowing what I know now.if you mix n match or substitute,I dont 'know what the end results will be.the products will all be the best bargan at the cheapest price (NO CRAP)quality material that I use to paint a car at a low budget that'll last five years and still look great. all the materials and the gun will be under 1000.00 ,way under.All I needed to know is,you dont know paint.So get a devilbiss gun with the cup on top and a tip thats1.3 or1.4 max from 150.00-300.00 or the best you can afford. a good sata runs 450.00-700.00 model 5333 is on sale for 425.00 at keystone Columbia, S.C.. so you can get a real good gun and good paint and mat.around 1000.00 is this a good range? do you need to go lower ?(your getting married now)what am I saying THIS may be your one and only chance to have a great car you want to go for a twenty year job?Awe ,crap... she may end up with it in a couple years....,alright I was just thinking to myself....So were back to the five year job ..RIGHT? might last ten if you take care of it...so far so good?

Last edited by deadbodyman; 06-10-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

yes so far so good.... somebody actually gave me some guns... hvlp one with a 1.7(primer) and one with a 1.4 base clear... I am not sure what brand they are but I do know they have never been used..... I think there needs to be a prenup for the cars!!! have you heard of kirker paints? okay enough of my questions.... teach me Im all ears
Old 06-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Last photo:

I would not use any Crown Chemical products for anything other than cleaning up guns. Most if not all of their products are low grade, some containing a mix of whatever solvent they happen to have on hand at the time. I echo the other comments on this subject, use a dedicated wax and grease remover and use it properly. Apply it wet with a clean cloth then immediately wipe it dry with a clean cloth, do not allow it to evaporate dry or you will have paint problems. Paint is far too expensive now a days to be looking for cheap outlets for material, that will just get you bit in the end.

Vince
Old 06-10-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atichargr
yes so far so good.... somebody actually gave me some guns... hvlp one with a 1.7(primer) and one with a 1.4 base clear... I am not sure what brand they are but I do know they have never been used..... I think there needs to be a prenup for the cars!!! have you heard of kirker paints? okay enough of my questions.... teach me Im all ears
The name will be on the handle,Sata,Iwata devilbiss,These are the guns I know too be great for you just pick the one you can afford.SATA is on sale 425.00 thats a super deal and you wont ever have to get another.If these prices are too much send a picture but if you dont see a name dont bother, the last thing you need is problems with your gun your gona have enough trouble without that. I want to eliminate all the" unnecessary" problems before you get started.At this point its the most important thing to get right.Well ,how much can afford to spend between 300-1,000.00 ?This ,is what we need to know first,be honest if its even less than 300 there are ways too ,but you 'll have to make lots of sacrifices. Whats your budget? higher or lower i'll get you there.trust me I've made all these mistakes already I'm trying to keep this simple ,simon. Yes I've heard of kirker ,They make make awsome bike pipes.We'll get to all of that...patience,grasshopper,empty your head, look at the tree not the forest.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:39 AM

Last photo:

I will take a look at my guns when I get home tonight from work.... if it costs 1000.00 it costs 1000.00 I want to keep the costs down but if that it what it will cost that is what it will cost... I want to do it right
I did use the crown stipper (worked okay but still has a bit of paint on the roof I used it on... I am a little worried about it I did get some of there paint prep I was going to use almost the whole bottle cleaning that roof then get some real stuff when ready to paint)
Old 06-11-2009, 05:35 AM

Last photo:

Okay I actually looked at the guns before I left for work ... CRAP! even the triggers feel like junk... there is nothing printed on the handles just 21 max psi stamped into them... so I do need a gun help! lol... what do I get and do I buy caps seperatly or buy two guns ???
Old 06-11-2009, 05:57 AM

would you rather know how to strip a car like a pro first? As I said before prep is everything ,what exactly are you trying to do,it sounds like a lot more than a paint job.I dont know about crown products just crown royal ,THATS good,but as far as stripers go,if you USE them right they'll work just fine for you, if you dont it'll cost you dearly,some take longer than others to accomplish their goal but if they get the job done properly satisfaction is guranteed I dont care how nice the packaging is ,just find a pretty one and dont fall in love.WAIT,where did you meet this girl your hitching your wagon to?have you given her the locked car door test to make sure shes the one?It works .Ive only been married once, I swear, and my wifes a legend around here.You ever heard of Bigfoot? I prefer aircraft striper in a blue can but we have a limited selection here.There are some that are totaly useless but the brand your useing seams to be working.as I said before "prep is everything"and everything is prep.Did you tape up all your gaps first,so the striper didn't drool down in and ruin the jamb paint?We can start right here if you want.what year and model car?you do realize were going backwards here,right? Its no problem ,but I cant help if I dont know what what it is your doing,striping is not part of a regular paint job...No wonder your frustrated youve taken on a lot for a first job dont expect to much from yourself,it s a lot of work for a "pro" and most, wont do them.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:19 AM

LOL I anticipated this question,go back and read again.Also, I've taught many ,many kids to paint who now make a good living as a painter.If I find someone with the right attitude and an eye for the work,I'll take them all the way.When adults come to the shop and thank me for changing their lives,it makes me feel good,most I dont even recognize anymore.I type with one finger,the last bit I wrote took an hour so I jotted down 25 quick answears to most of your questions,that way all I have to do is type answear #5 it'll cut a lot of time for me.mabee you could teach me how to type in exchange.lol gotta git we'll chat tonite.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

LOL nice to deal with someone with a sense of humor... .... actually the car is a 1929 model A .. and I am just stripping the section of the roof that I welded in.... I have enough paint off where I am going to sand the rest down.. the rest of the car is under an epoxy primer... i did get a couple of drips off of the visor onto the primer... i wiped it up as soon as I noticed it but I think it softned the paint... in these areas I was just going to sand that down to metal to get the soft paint off ....
yes she passes the door lock test... I have been with her for almost 9 years now so I made sure that we were compatible .. the one before her only lasted 1 year..
anyway I need to get a good gun apparently the ones my friend gave me are pure crap... I need help with the selection of a gun and about caps and what sizes.. is a 1.3 better than 1.4 for base and clear? is 1.7 good enough for a high build primer.... oh so many questions in my little head LOL. i did go back and read what you posted on guns before but still funny little questions in my little head.. talk to you later

simon

Last edited by atichargr; 06-11-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 PM

Last photo:

is this any good? or too cheap???
http://cgi.ebay.com/DeVILBISS-Finish...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old 06-12-2009, 04:57 AM

Last photo:

oh no have I nagged like a wife with a million questions and driven you away?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:06 AM

Imho,I'd buy a SATA 5333 Its the gun I use ,(best bang for the buck)I'll bet no matter what happens to your first paint job, your the kind of presistant person that just has to learn ,thats why I suggest taking the hit now on a grat gun ,then you wont need a better one later. theres lots of reasons for me telling you this.In the future money will be tight and you might not be able to afford one later.Ive been there,my kids are almost thirty. All of what I tell you will be with this in mind (if I wanted to learn to paint a car for the first time, knowing what I know now),nobody taught me but I had the benifit of watching the pros every day.I've been getting paid for this kind of work since I was 14yrs old, I started off making 1.25 bucks an hr, 2.00 on weekends (but they wouldnt let me work JUST weekends)I know moneys tight and 400.00 seems crazy (it is)but you'll be painting another ....and another, You'll see.We could always start a poll(i think i can do it) For best overall gun under 500.00(yes they go way higher)see what the other pros say, but I cant tell you about other guns if I dont know them, or help to trobleshoot ,if you have a gun related problem. Sometimes when you find what works for you ,you stick with it,But I'd really get a sata with the big aluminum cup and no bells or whistles,1.4 tip.THATS what I'd do if I were you.For right now,what you should do is go to a local body shop,(a small one)and see if they have any old left over paint you could have for practice, You might even make a new friend,or buy some centari acrilic enamel(a solid color same color as your going to use on the 29) with hardner(wet look brand)its cheaper.paint something around the house or an old hood with that cheap gun and get some paint time in,then get that sata, when you can.then you'll understand.You worry to much.ask all the questions you want,I concider it a challenge and I promice you,you'll give up before I do.HA,HA,SERIOUSLY
Old 06-12-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
oh no have I nagged like a wife with a million questions and driven you away?
This aint nothing ,wait till you been married three years then read this again and have a big laugh.You've no idea.LOL,or even better wait till you have some kids and you'll see what nagging is all about HA,ha
Old 06-12-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Okay I actually looked at the guns before I left for work ... CRAP! even the triggers feel like junk... there is nothing printed on the handles just 21 max psi stamped into them... so I do need a gun help! lol... what do I get and do I buy caps seperatly or buy two guns ???
Cool,use those cheap guns for primer,thats what I do.Go back and read again,those questions have already been answerd

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.