lacquer thinne question - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: maryland
Posts: 182
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okay Sata 5333 it is ! Grasshopper is listening to master ..... (poor David Carraine) he was into some wild stuff though...

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: maryland
Posts: 182
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okay been looking everywhere for a sata model 5333... can not find one there are all these 2000 and 3000 but no 5333 .... I went to that columbia sc place and seems as if it is just for buisnesses .. so no luck there.... Ill keep looking

http://www.finishsystems.com/satahvlpsprayguns.html
okay any other recomendations on a paint gun... remeber I don't have any auto paint\body suppliers near me... the internet is the gateway for me.
I can get an Iwata LPH400 with what they call a clear coat cap 1.4 and 1000ml aluminum cup for 374.25... I do have a regulator that came with the cheap guns, but I could buy a new one with a new gun... they also have 2 other caps,orange that says it is a base coat cap, and a purple a metallic cap... it says that the clear coat cap is good for base and clear especially clear... what do you think of this? could you take a look at this for me master? and give me your opinion http://www.spraygunplanet.com/spray.html

thanks,
grasshopper

Last edited by atichargr; 06-12-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2009, 03:30 PM
deadbodyman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: augusta,ga.
Age: 54
Posts: 6,098
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanks: 25
Thanked 447 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atichargr
okay Sata 5333 it is ! Grasshopper is listening to master ..... (poor David Carraine) he was into some wild stuff though...
I just heard.Him and Clint,my heros.BTW did you see grand torino yet? He's still got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2009, 03:45 PM
deadbodyman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: augusta,ga.
Age: 54
Posts: 6,098
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanks: 25
Thanked 447 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atichargr
okay been looking everywhere for a sata model 5333... can not find one there are all these 2000 and 3000 but no 5333 .... I went to that columbia sc place and seems as if it is just for buisnesses .. so no luck there.... Ill keep looking

http://www.finishsystems.com/satahvlpsprayguns.html
okay any other recomendations on a paint gun... remeber I don't have any auto paint\body suppliers near me... the internet is the gateway for me.
I can get an Iwata LPH400 with what they call a clear coat cap 1.4 and 1000ml aluminum cup for 374.25... I do have a regulator that came with the cheap guns, but I could buy a new one with a new gun... they also have 2 other caps,orange that says it is a base coat cap, and a purple a metallic cap... it says that the clear coat cap is good for base and clear especially clear... what do you think of this? could you take a look at this for me master? and give me your opinion http://www.spraygunplanet.com/spray.html

thanks,
grasshopper
There ya go Iwata's a great gun too ,just one tip for clear for now ,check out others when you get real good (better than me)about three cars.ha,ha But thats a good price for an iwata. the elcheapo regulator will be fine but get a little ball filter for the air an some cup strainers for later Just in case you need them but dont install them yet,they may mess you up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: maryland
Posts: 182
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okay I will buy that gun... the 1.4 tip for the clear will do fine for the base coat as well correct? and remember I am new to this a little ball filter?? the small water seperator filter you put right before the gun? I do have a water seperator I am going to install right after the compressor then I was going to get the other little water filter that goes in front of the gun ... is that the ball filter?

one other question, not related to the paint... what can I prep my roof and welds with (bare metal) before using my evercoat filler? I also on the roof have some minor rust... ground most of it off.. looks like pockmarks now.... should I use a rust encapsulator on these areas before smoothing with evercoat?

thanks,
grasshopper

Last edited by atichargr; 06-12-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2009, 05:41 PM
35prog's Avatar
Member
 

Last journal entry: More photos
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: iowa
Posts: 94
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can't go wrong with the Iwata LPH400. Use epoxy over the bare metal. Also use SPI products where you can they are the best for the $.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: maryland
Posts: 182
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking more for what I can use to clean the metal before putting on my evercoat.. and if I should use rust encapulator over the pock mark looking areas where i ground as much of the rust as I could out.. I want to make sure I have a good adheshon of the filler to the metal... since a stipper was used ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: maryland
Posts: 182
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okay I did a little research... I guess I shoud spray the epoxy , then use my fillers.... so master I think it time to help grasshopper out with what I am going to need , and if kirker products are any good... I only have 4 months to get this done... and basically only weekends to do it.. I am going to take a week off when it is ready for base/clear.. so I have enough time to get that right and the car put back together..... oh now there are alot of questions in my head... like how can I paint the door jams and clear them and the dash.. with out removeing the doors? or is that not possible?/ and it is going to be over 80 degrees when I paint ... slow reducer?? oh no too many questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Macedon, NY
Posts: 468
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you canít find the Sata gun this is what I have DeVilbiss GTi-620G. I purchased it for $429.99 Plus tax. I ordered it off a Mac Tools truck and then made payments.

Just print out the page and find a jobber who can order it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: in the garage
Posts: 240
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
just one tip for clear for now
Just wondering, why not more tips for one gun? I don't mean only use one gun, but say like a 1.4 for this and a 1.8 for that, each on it's own gun. Why do guns come with one specific size tip instead of more? I'm thinking it's matched to other parts of the gun for certain material... maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Macedon, NY
Posts: 468
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are guns you can purchase other size tips. These are more expensive but more versatile. Most posters here are beginners and are making rather experimental purchases within their budget for weekend projects. Low-end guns arenít as versatile in their design to accommodate such changes in fluid tips and are generally manufactured with limitations.

However, the low cost affords the novice a reasonable means to acquire the tools needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: maryland
Posts: 182
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperotti
There are guns you can purchase other size tips. These are more expensive but more versatile. Most posters here are beginners and are making rather experimental purchases within their budget for weekend projects. Low-end guns arenít as versatile in their design to accommodate such changes in fluid tips and are generally manufactured with limitations.

However, the low cost affords the novice a reasonable means to acquire the tools needed.
would you consider a Iwata LPH400 a low budget gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2009, 06:45 AM
deadbodyman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: augusta,ga.
Age: 54
Posts: 6,098
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanks: 25
Thanked 447 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atichargr
okay I will buy that gun... the 1.4 tip for the clear will do fine for the base coat as well correct? and remember I am new to this a little ball filter?? the small water seperator filter you put right before the gun? I do have a water seperator I am going to install right after the compressor then I was going to get the other little water filter that goes in front of the gun ... is that the ball filter?

one other question, not related to the paint... what can I prep my roof and welds with (bare metal) before using my evercoat filler? I also on the roof have some minor rust... ground most of it off.. looks like pockmarks now.... should I use a rust encapsulator on these areas before smoothing with evercoat?

thanks,
grasshopper
yes, the filter screws to the gun,the water seperators are very important.I have a seperator at the tank then one after the regulator then a decisent dryer and then one of those tolet paper filters then one at the gun.Filters are Very expencive so for now I 'll show you how to make your own for under 50.00.OK?What kind of compressor are you using?
its best to filter the air after its regulated down to around fifty or so lbs.I'm still trying to find a resonable price on decesint balls ,its the same stuff that comes in little packets with electronic equipment it absorbs moisture but a bag of the stuff at the local paint store runs around 75-100.00.do you have access to diesel water seperators for fuel?Junk yards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2009, 07:15 AM
deadbodyman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: augusta,ga.
Age: 54
Posts: 6,098
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanks: 25
Thanked 447 Times in 376 Posts
As far as metal prep goes , PM me.LOL. We don't want to get started on that.Ha,ha .I'll give you the facts ,I've done that every kind of way too.so if I tell you watch out for that pile of dodo stop walking and look for it,you have no shoes on yet.Metal prep is very important but its a big pile a poo you dont want to step in right now.SPI epoxy is what I use ,its the BEST bang for the buck and they have the best hotline I've ever seen they also have a site for users but I think its just for the pros.rust isnt a problem either but pm me for that procedure,others have and you can ask them if my advice worked for rust and metal prep.dont throw away those cheap guns,you'll need them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2009, 07:21 AM
deadbodyman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: augusta,ga.
Age: 54
Posts: 6,098
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanks: 25
Thanked 447 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez
Just wondering, why not more tips for one gun? I don't mean only use one gun, but say like a 1.4 for this and a 1.8 for that, each on it's own gun. Why do guns come with one specific size tip instead of more? I'm thinking it's matched to other parts of the gun for certain material... maybe?
things are going to be complicated enough.changing tips is for someone that knows something about guns and paint the 1.4 tip will be best for sealer,single stage and base clear.were getting of track. study the tree and you'll understand the forest.dont use your good paint gun for primers,at the very least you'll wear it out faster ,until you get your good gun use the cheap guns ,try both with your epoxy and see the differance.Btw hey Deez,hows your car coming along?any progress?I told ya's ,I'm going to keep it simple.Painting a car can be complicated,"the more you know,the harder it is,don't expect to get EVERYTHING right the first time,NOBODY is that good.I'll tell ya about my first job sometime,A painter paints A great painter knows everything about ALL the systems that are involved,rebuilding air compressors,filtration,guns,paint,paint booths,booth filters troubleshooting skills,All this can only be learned by experiance ,not reading ,so get your guns out and start shooting sheet,any sheet but ,not a car yet your going to have trouble just painting tool boxes(I hope)cause you learn by your mistakes

Last edited by deadbodyman; 06-13-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
383 stroker 73monte Engine 11 05-07-2014 08:08 AM
Question about vehical weight and engine question Thuggishruggish3000 Engine 12 03-24-2011 05:22 AM
Pointers on spraying lacquer? Quadzilla(EFI) Body - Exterior 6 04-14-2006 01:46 AM
How long will lacquer primer last? ChrisMiddleron Body - Exterior 2 06-17-2004 05:35 PM
nitrous 69BiRd Engine 2 11-28-2003 10:33 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.