lacquer thinne question - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 08:06 PM

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

LOL funny thing is I throw those damn things out as fast as they come... belive it or not I don't have a phone book in my house... LOL I will look tomorrow at work in the Yellow pages

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2009, 08:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

the computer is just another tool for information,so are the books,they make less noise too.I can hear my wifes keyboard out here.both ,are great tools
Old 06-15-2009, 05:54 AM

Last photo:

I hear you... when I first started working on cars all our repair manuals and labor manuals were books.. since then everything has be come computerized.... I am the generation between you and my fiance as far as computers go... you were and adult when they came were widley used , I was in my early teens and my fiance has known them for as long as she has been alive...
Old 06-15-2009, 06:23 AM

I JUST started learning computer when I joined hotrodders,couldn't even spell,got a dictionary right here (no spell check for me ,thank you)I do enjoy learning,used smell check once,said screw dat got dictionary,I smell much better now,you sound like you bagged a young one?screw da car send pics of her.Mabee washing it when yer done.I like lotsa bubbles,cloths are optional.I can send pics of my wife(bigfoot),but i wouldn't look directly in her eyes.What gave you the idea I'm a mature adult? My wife brings that subject up every day,(when you gonna grow up),but as long as the bills are paid and she has some nice shinney stuff to look at ,she pretty much lets me do what I want,its a good trade,and I wouldn't trade her for anything.I hope you have the same luck.oops,she just came in,I wish I had a tape recorder,Ha,ha,ha What am I laughing at?nothing honey....
Old 06-15-2009, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

well good news I tracked down the nason flu-thane about 45 minutes from me... I'm going to go down Saturday and pick the color or colors thinking I might spray the whole car a nice cream color... but no luck with the spi epoxy... of course the guy I talked to on the phone today said there are plenty of other epoxys out there comprable to the spi... what do you think?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

LOL the fiance got a kick out of that..."you better not be sending any pics of me " lol enjoy life and laugh!
Old 06-15-2009, 07:18 PM

Dont forget to ask for some miss mix's you should be able to get a gal of ful-thane for twenty bucks,they may even put some hi strength tint in it to make a color you like and some cheap universal hardner to practice with you'll need to get used to that gun.I bought a gal of silver Glassurt for thirty bucks they put hi strengh blue in it and it was damn neer perfect match for my old ranger.saved about three hundred bucks
Old 06-15-2009, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

okay Ill see what they have in the ful thane as far as miss mixes for me to practice with.... is the new gun going to be alot different to use than my crap guns? I figure I shoud be able to get some practice as well spraying the epoxy primer... but that is gonna be with the crap gun... oh that reminds me when I was stripping the roof, some of the stripper dripped off the visor damn garvity... onto the epoxy primer.. I wiped it off as soon as I noticed it but at the time is seemed to of softened the epoxy.... it actually feels "soft" compared to the rest of the epoxy... but using my nail I am unable to scratch it off so it must not be that soft.. just feels different than the non effected areas... I actually cleaned it with alcohol when it happened... is this going to effect the new epoxy? what should I do? the epoxy on there is pretty thick... so if I sanded it I would probably need to glaze it or something
Old 06-15-2009, 08:08 PM

dont take any chances ,sand it off with 180 and reshoot it when you spray the roof. just this once ,spray the epoxy with your new gun ,get used to it.when you spray every day,you wear them out ,but you'll be fine.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

will the 1.4 cap be okay for the epoxy? (look I even used the right terminology) I don't know how long this car has been under this epoxy... is it fine? what should it be scuffed with before the nason ful-thane is applied? 180 paper 220, 600 ? red scuff pad? can you wet sand epoxy? and what is the purpose of wet sanding ?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:04 PM

I use a1.4 for epoxy.Spi can be reduced and used as a sealer,a good one too.I would spray the roof with two or three good wet coats and walk away.the next day wet sand the body with 400 and a semi soft block,use a block not your fingers.when the roof is cured "wait till the following weekend" wet sand that with 400 also then reshoot the whole car with reduced epoxy for the sealer wait till its sandable and give it a quick scuff with 600 wet with a block and shoot the paint.paint it like you want it to look,dont leave something for the next coat to cover up.two coats is all i use but give it three ful wet coats just to make sure if you get a run or two ,dont worry ,keep going,untape it and tie some cans on the back and go get married We 'll worry about the runs later "an ez fix"
Old 06-16-2009, 05:41 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
reshoot the whole car with reduced epoxy for the sealer wait till its sandable and give it a quick scuff with 600 wet with a block and shoot the paint."
I guess the epoxy will come with a sheet that will tell me how much to reduce for a sealer? wait till sandable? also on the tech sheet? or is that like a day or something? scuff with 600 wet (wet sand this stip too)? after wet sand just wait for the car to dry hour or so in the sun? then I can paint?
Old 06-16-2009, 06:40 AM

for baremetal 1:1 ,as a sealer 1:1 then reduce up to 20%,to test for cure just stick your fingernail in it ,if it dents its not ready also if you do good bodywork it'll eliminate the need for 2k primer.have you ever seen stone chips in a hood? this primer almost eliminates them,its the best stuff out there that I've used and I've used almost all of them.very resonable price too.PPg and sherwin williams also have a deciant epoxy but their way more money and second rate compared to this.so far with paint and epoxy your at around 300.00 with the gun 650.00 wax and greese remover ,5gal laquer thinner another 60.00 . 400,600 grit wet paper three red scuff pads reducer,tack rags75.00.I'd order everything you can from SPI and spend as little as possible at the paint store.you may just save 100.00 for your honeymoon.Oh,and one other thing,you'll have enough material left over to do another car.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
for baremetal 1:1 ,as a sealer 1:1 then reduce up to 20%,to test for cure just stick your fingernail in it ,if it dents its not ready also if you do good bodywork it'll eliminate the need for 2k primer.have you ever seen stone chips in a hood? this primer almost eliminates them,its the best stuff out there that I've used and I've used almost all of them.very resonable price too.PPg and sherwin williams also have a deciant epoxy but their way more money and second rate compared to this.so far with paint and epoxy your at around 300.00 with the gun 650.00 wax and greese remover ,5gal laquer thinner another 60.00 . 400,600 grit wet paper three red scuff pads reducer,tack rags75.00.I'd order everything you can from SPI and spend as little as possible at the paint store.you may just save 100.00 for your honeymoon.Oh,and one other thing,you'll have enough material left over to do another car.
okay so you answered one of my questions how much wax and grease remover should I get... I have plenty of wet 400,600,800 paper.. I have some tack rags too.. honeymoon all inclusive sandles resort in the bahamas... red scuff pads what am I going to be using these for?? how much reducer do I need to get?

okay here it goes..
1-finish body work with car as is (finishing with 180 paper)?
2-epoxy the roof and any other places that need touching up where I go thru to metal
3-lay down 2-3 wet coats of new epoxy let dry about 1 week
4-wet sand with 600 mix more epoxy reduce and spray as sealer (let dry for how long ? till finger nail doesn't dent) would a few days be fine as well? or not?
5-spray roof , dash, doors, little odds and ends that need paint..
6-wait at least 24 hours tape off roof and spray rest of car
7-untape reinstall morrors , door handles, lights etc...
8-get a case of coronas few packs of cigs look at car drink beer and smoke till drunk
9-crawl in bed drunk hope to get lucky then sleep?

did I skip anything ??
Old 06-16-2009, 06:52 PM

get beer first !!!!!!!! #4wet sand epoxy 400 gt ,after you use epoxy as sealer lightly sand with 600.after an hour or two.The bahamas are great we (bigfoot and I) go on a cruise every year.all are great but theres something about St. Martin

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.