lacquer thinne question - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by atichargr
okay I get it now... how much primer should I mix up at one time? so after primed and cured scuff with 600 wet (spray bottle) .. once that is done mix up my sealer... spray my sealer, now after the sealer I just have to wait the flash time (hopefully I can get the gun cleaned by this time) then spray my paint? I don't need to wait for it to cure correct? I guess this might be on the tech sheet? I ordered the epoxy today... 1 gallon . and there reducer..I did pick up a two quart mixing cups and two 2 1/2 quart cups... I am just confussed on how much to mix ... especially the paint.. since I don't want to run out while in the middle of painting and have to stop and make more...

thanks,
simon
sand epoxy primer with 400 scuff the sealer with 600 when cured around two hrs

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 05:06 PM

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

thank you I hope in the next 2 weeks to have it under epoxy, I went with grey since it is my first paint job and I didn't want to go with white since my color is so close to white I want to see where I have been... I figure mix up about 2 quarts at a time?

thanks
simon
Old 06-24-2009, 07:07 AM

Glad to help Simon.PM me when your ready for some more. Mike O.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

well the epoxy arrived today... I also got some reducer from them... I ordered monday and got it today... fast delivery.. this weekend I may spend some time getting the (booth) ready.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 PM

dont forget the hotline number I gave you.I just sprayed some today,I love this stuff!!! You got my # too If you have an emergency...Good luck "painter"
Old 06-25-2009, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

thanks for all the support, and HELP... hopefully this weekend I will have everything ready as far as the make shift paint booth... I remeber you mentioning spraying water on the floor... is this to keep dust down or to attract some of the nasty chemicals? I hope in the next couple of weeks to get it under epoxy primer, if I mix up 2 quarts will that be enough for two wet coats? once again thanks for putting up with all my questions and taking your time to help me

simon
Old 06-25-2009, 05:36 PM

I dont recomend watering down the floor,theres just too many disadvantages plus working in wet shoes all day wrinkles your feet and they'll start to hurt,not to mention splashing water on your freash paint by accident.do wash it down but let it dry
Old 06-28-2009, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

here is what I plan on painting the "29" in ... it is 12x20x8 both the front and rear doors open... I plan on putting 2 box fans (which I have yet to buy) at the rear door blowing out, and let air get pulled thru the vents.. there is screen on the vents do I need to put a filter over them as well? I am going to put filters on the inside of the fans.. to catch any overspray... the enclosure is about 30-35 yards from the back of my house and about 60 yards from my closest neighbor so I don't think fumes will be an issue... hopefully I can get an overcast day to paint since it get very hot in there with the sun shineing.. may not be too bad with the fans pulling air in through the vents ....

Old 07-02-2009, 09:56 AM

get lotsa duct tape,cut a hole for filter,tape filter to outside seal it up good,then one on the inside making a sandwich with the tarp in the middle put fan inside,put tarp over grass for a floor tape it to the sides,tape every crack from inside then do same thing on outside just to make sure.one fan on the out side blowing in through filter,then go to lowes get some stire foam sheets up on roof ,it'll help ......alot..oh yeah get something tacky in a spray can thats cheap like glue spray in on the inside of the intake filters(use two stacked together and taped together) no need for anything on the exhaust furnase filters.oh...place filters at chest level and front to back dont even try making a down draft you'll be sorry.sorry it took so long to get back ,some moron got me side tracked.your getting there Simon you been practicing?Youve really bitten off a lot here I'm glad to see so much effort,shows me a lot about you.My grand father once said somethingto me I'd like to share It has nothing and everything to do with paint and can be applied to anything:Theres a right way and a wrong way to do everything.....If your ever confussed on which path to take.......the right way is NEVER ez ..Now some may say this is a hack way do do this and its to much work but are you over 1,000 dollars yet?If you dont or cant paint a car ,has what you learned here worth it?if it dosent work out for you arnt you glad it didnt cost 5,000 to find out.You'll be fine ,and proud of your work,You'll see,I can always tell when someones got it or not and YOU ,brother ...got it...just dont quit your job to be a painter ,you'll be sorry,trust me on this,If this works out for you like I think it will PLEASE dont get a big head.I'd hate to think I created a monster.The last comment was more for anyone else who may be reading this than you I never would have taken so much time if I thought for a second you didnt have the attitude to be a great painter,which BTW has more to do with attitude than actual painting ....as you already found out any moron can paint... only a few are painters
Old 07-02-2009, 05:01 PM

Last photo:

okay... so the way i was going to do this is going to cause me problems?? my plan was to get two box fans taped together then some insulation board on either side to finish the span of the door... I was going to have these fans blowing out of the building with furnace filters on the inside of them.... then I was going to put a filters over the vents one at each end of the building as you can see in the picture... now im a little confused.. is there a way I can do this with out having to cut (destroy) my temporary garage since I plan on storing my 92 mustang in it... ? (maybe it would be better with no fans at all just the vents at the top that are already there)???or 1 fan blowing inward and letting it vent through the vents or 2 fans one on each end blowing in?? the fans I was going to get are those box fans that have 3 speeds ... only 14.99 at homedepot... and trust me if this turns out nice I am not going to change careers... I have been at the same place for almost 19 years... and I definatly will not let it go to my head... I never brag or act stuckup about what I know since I know there is always someone that knows more than me and there is always something to learn.... and yes even if my paint job goes to hell I would be glad I tried it and even though I wasn't able to pull it off I did learn a lot from you !!!!!

thanks,
simon

Last edited by atichargr; 07-02-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:42 PM

oops,I didnt notice the vents that'll work,if you notice a lot of dirt try tacking again between the first and second coat after waiting thirty min,first coat has to be dry enough to lightly touch and touch the overspray on the paper not the car,if the second coat looks trashy ,finish the second coat,but no more after that,no problem just make sure to tape up all your seams best you can and cover that floor up with a tarp your way will work too.Dont worry about the trash yet if you get some we can deal with that ez enough and stop worrying so much you'll lose sleep and get your blood pressure up all for nothing.Dont forget to call me right before you start so we can run through it and its best to paint as early in the morning as possible so the dew keeps the dirt from blowing around. OK? OK.damn now I'm getting excited, you'll be fine just say a little prayer the night before.it cant hurt and you'll need all the luck you can get.Me, on the other hand,I say my prayers AFTER dinner,its not funny youve never had my wifes cooking ,I'm still alive so theres your proof.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

I spent 4 hours today getting the fenders remounted and taping everything off... was excited to spray a guide coat so next weekend I can sand it with 400 and get it ready for the spi epoxy! I started spraying the guide coat it is black!!! I told the guy the car was under a black epoxy he told me the guide coat was grey!!! I guess I can block sand it anyway and maybe take pictures of it before I wipe the dust off so I can see the highs and lows.... what a let down
Old 07-05-2009, 09:41 PM

lol,I use cheap white spray paint,the cheaper the better,black for gray primer.I've found those fenders to be a challenge to paint on the car plus the overspray and extra masking is a beach,with that compressor you have it might be easyer to do off the car,EZ sand finishing putty will make short work on your low spots just sand where you use it first.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Simon,I swear I'm losing my mind I have a great gun you can have (no charge )its a devilbis siphon feed I bought new used three times and got a sata theres nothing wrong with it and if you haven't got a gun yet its yours it'll last for years.but if you already have your gun I'll give it to someone that needs it.I painted with these for years its all there was till gravity guns came out and I was problably the last to switch over those guns looked funny with the cup on top,this gun still looks newtoo
Old 07-06-2009, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

I had one of those myself. Don't know what happened to it. Yes, they were and are great guns. You have both nozzles for that?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.