lacquer thinne question - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by atichargr
LOL,LOL hey we gotta have fun so we don't go crazy!
Well.......To late went crazy years ago....got papers to prove it too.....its called "Metal Illness" most hotrodders got it and yall know the cure

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 09:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I call everybody kid, even friends that are older than me and Iím 54. If I call you anything else then you can be offended.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:40 AM

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:

CJ- no offense was taken...
Mike- explosion is the one thing that I do worry about, I was hoping that with the two fans and pulling the air through would help that... the one thing that I am a little worried about is my lighting though since they are halogen lights 4 two on each stand 500 watts.. so 2000 total.... then I have read a lot of things saying that with the hvlp guns there is alot less over spray than there use to be .... and the worst time is actually as the chemicals dry ... so it is alot less likly than it use to be... the only things that will actually be in there with me will be the 2 box fans blowing out the back door and the two lights everything else will be out side the enclosure....

should be okay shouldn't it????

simon
Old 07-08-2009, 05:26 AM

I've done it like that myself but the thread on booth explosions got me worring for your safety ....I havn't painted like that in years so PLEASE do your homework and start a thread on homemade booths.... I 'm not qualified to advise you on your booth except : dont paint at night ,you'll never get the buggs out of the paint job.I wouldnt be able to live with myself if my ignorance caused you harm in any way.....I'll say this though, its not the bulbs that'll give you trouble (there sealed)so if your useing extention cords....plug the lights in at the house not in the booth,do the same the same with the fans,unplug the same way when done so you'll get no sparks from switches or unpluging...haligen lights get very hot to hot they'll raise the temp in the booth so high you wont be able to paint properly,use floresent bulbs theres many kinds of bulbs some are made just for paint work but dont worry about all that just use any old floresent bulbs,the fan is what worries me,address that.......

Last edited by deadbodyman; 07-08-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperotti
I call everybody kid, even friends that are older than me and Iím 54. If I call you anything else then you can be offended.
LOL,...Yes sir....I'll keep that in mind too....I PM you ....my message box full .....hit delete,lost address......my dum a zz....your gun is all boxed up and ready to go,found some extra parts and some goodies too
Old 07-08-2009, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

well my plan was to use extension cords , plug the lights , and compressor in to my generator out side of the enclosure, and my fans into the house and if I decide to use the fresh air hood that into the house too... I don't have any plans on having any plugs in the enclosure, and the only things that will actually be in the enclosure would be the lights and the fans.... compressor will be outside... I will read up on the fans.... maybe I will go to home depot and buy a floresent light that I can hang from the roof.. I do know those cords are sort so I will plug it into and extension cord and wrap with electrical tape.... I figure the air should be evacuated pretty quick with two box fans and the vents... Ill look into it though
Old 07-08-2009, 03:46 PM

Last photo:

I also found this in one of the threads....
Let's not lose sight of the fact that any evaporative substance with the ability to combust requires a minimum concentration in the air to reach its flash point. Don't think for a second that I am downplaying anyone's concerns about the risks involved or the precautions being taken to minimize those risks. It just seems that if you can move enough air through the area, the volatile compounds will never even come close to reaching flash point, making it a moot point to have explosion-proof equipment. My garage is 24x30x9 for a total of 6500 cubic feet. A high-velocity 24" floor fan will exchange that once a minute, which should easily keep fumes below the flash point. Besides, a true explosion-proof environment would be horrendously expensive for the average hobbyist.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:56 PM

Last photo:

ever seen a painting explosion.... a thread titled this has some pretty good stuff in it.... check it out.... kind of what I thought.... makes me feel a little better
Old 07-08-2009, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

well mike I was told by about 3 people to turn the fans around blowing in ward and let it vent out the top vents.. that will eliminate the fans as being the ignitors.... what do you think of this? they said since they are at ground level just have a decent breeze nothing wild...
Old 07-09-2009, 04:46 AM

Last photo:

another post I found

I personally don't see how an induction motor can spark a fire...

A brush motor, yes.. but your typical AC motor is pure induction.. no sparks involved..

But I suppose that spark proof motors are fully enclosed so there must be something to it..

anyone wish to eludicate me?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lundy, those "explosion proof" motors are the induction type, and some of the better ones have fiber seals around all the shaft and bearing points. Blowers and fans have either aluminum, or fiber impellers.....the risk of explosion on a STANDARD (not explosion resistant) blower is generally from a metal chip making contact with a steel or other ferrous impeller.

Again the risk is from a steel impeller accidentally contacting another material that can cause a spark when striking a steel impeller.

So what you should be more concerned about is the impeller type on your blower. Most induction type motors will do just fine.

Last edited by atichargr; 07-09-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:01 AM

I never had a problem ether but ........I did get you guys doing homework didnt I. lol , something none of my teachers could ever get me to do.now you know more than I do , your ready!!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I never had a problem ether but ........I did get you guys doing homework didnt I. lol , something none of my teachers could ever get me to do.now you know more than I do , your ready!!!!
LOL thanks LOL now if I listened and did my homework in highschool I wouldn't of gotten kicked out ! I went to linc. tech , graduated and was working on cars fulltime before my class mates even graduated so maybe it was a blessing in disguise.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:43 AM

same here,but I was taking electronics,quit in 9th grade to spend all my time with my girlfriend(the mother of my three kids)just got my GED three yrs ago.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

That's funny, looks like the three of us were sailing the same boat. Dropped out of high school to go to work. Later on got my GED. One of my teachers talked me into going to college.

Got your PM DBM, thankyou.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:02 AM

your welcome. I't was tough at times but I wouldn't change a thing,not a one

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.