lacquer thinne question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 09:43 AM

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

lacquer thinne question

Has anyone used the crown low voc low odor products??? they have a paint prep , and a lacquer thinner... would these be any good? the only thing that it says with the lacquer thinner is not to mix it with automotive lacquer paint... I will just be using to wipe the car down and clean my guns.... and I am not shooting lacquer I will be shooting urethane .... I am just tring to do my part in helping the enviorment and my and everyones health around me...

thanks,
simon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,160 Times in 1,024 Posts
Simon, use REAL "surface cleaners" commonly called "Wax and grease removers" to clean your car, DO NOT use lacquer thinner.

As far as your question about that particular brand, I don't know anything about it. I would have to assume that a "low voc" lacquer thinner is probably in actuality acetone.

Brian
Old 06-07-2009, 12:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Simon, use REAL "surface cleaners" commonly called "Wax and grease removers" to clean your car, DO NOT use lacquer thinner.

As far as your question about that particular brand, I don't know anything about it. I would have to assume that a "low voc" lacquer thinner is probably in actuality acetone.

Brian
okay well they actually do have a wax and grease remover... so what is the use of lacquer thinner?? nothing? can I use it to clean my guns? or can I use wax and grease remover for that too?

I am using there biodegradable paint remover,,, takes a long time to work but seems to be bubbling up I will let it sit a little longer and see what happens...

I thought I was suppose to use the lacquer thinner to clean the remaining paint remover off of the metal.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

Are you actually using polymer products formulated to be applied to industrial floors?
Old 06-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

I cannot understand the aversion many beginners have to actually finding an auto paint store, learning about the products sold there, and then asking some questions about products actually made for vehicle refinishing...
Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,160 Times in 1,024 Posts
I don't know what you are using, so I don't know what to tell you to clean it up with. Yes lacquer thinner should be used to clean the gun, but that is about all it is good for these days.

Doesn't that paint striper come with instructions? I would think it tells you what to clean up with.

Brian
Old 06-08-2009, 04:21 PM

Last photo:

no the stipper is for paint.. not floors,, metal , wood, plastic etc.... and as far as a novice finding a paint store well some of us don't have them in a very close location.. that is what I thought a bulletin board is for .. to get advice from people that have done what you are trying to do....maybe I am wrong maybe they are for us to gloat about what we have done and make others feel bad since they are trying to learn...maybe I am worng if so sorry!!!

simon
Old 06-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

I was asking a question trying to confirm what you were using. Any stripper will strip paint that isn't a problem. However, products from this company won't do well as an auto finish, unless your planning for a ratrod look.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by atichargr
... and as far as a novice finding a paint store well some of us don't have them in a very close location.. that is what I thought a bulletin board is for .. to get advice from people that have done what you are trying to do....maybe I am wrong maybe they are for us to gloat about what we have done and make others feel bad since they are trying to learn...maybe I am worng if so sorry!!!

simon
I apologize for being out of line. Since you might be too far away from a real auto paint & body supply store, I thought I might offer a few links to online sources:

http://www.autobodysupply.net/

http://www.azautobodysupply.com/

http://www.repaintsupply.com/

I have not bought paint or body supplies online, nor am I suggesting these suppliers as reliable sources. But, you can look at their sites and see what sort of professional products are available for the sort of work you want to do, and then be able to proceed in a more informed way.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtech
I apologize for being out of line. Since you might be too far away from a real auto paint & body supply store, I thought I might offer a few links to online sources:

http://www.autobodysupply.net/

http://www.azautobodysupply.com/

http://www.repaintsupply.com/

I have not bought paint or body supplies online, nor am I suggesting these suppliers as reliable sources. But, you can look at their sites and see what sort of professional products are available for the sort of work you want to do, and then be able to proceed in a more informed way.
Thank you for the apology and the links.... Im sorry If I singled you out.... it is just a little frustrating when you are looking for advice and people either try talk you out of things or tell you leave it to a professional... every professional had to start some time... and nobody knows anybody else's capabilities....
Old 06-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Technician

Well, I am a professional, but I do encourage you to try these things on your own with the proper products. It's difficult enough to produce excellent results even with years of training and using the best products, so to see an inexperienced person try to use products that nobody has heard of is a bit frustrating.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Has anyone used the crown low voc low odor products??? they have a paint prep , and a lacquer thinner... would these be any good? the only thing that it says with the lacquer thinner is not to mix it with automotive lacquer paint... I will just be using to wipe the car down and clean my guns.... and I am not shooting lacquer I will be shooting urethane .... I am just tring to do my part in helping the enviorment and my and everyones health around me...

thanks,
simon
thats what we call "wash thinner"its what I've always used for cleaning my guns the brand dont matter,its only for the guns so IMO the cheaper the better but I've paid as much as 50.00 at Lowes but 35.00 is around the norm but dont clean your car with it, unless your getting off overspray from glass and chrome.It'll eat through some paints and ,really cause you a lot of trouble.As far as cleaning metal its pretty much useless but after I chemical strip a car its great for cleaning up the mess (it evaporates quick)also why its no good for cleaning bare metal.there are much better products out there made just for that.for cleaning old paint for a repaint use wax and greese remover.I use SPI but not much difference there either its just convenient
Old 06-09-2009, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

I don't know where you live: however, If you have a SherwinWilliams Paint store where you live they have automotive paint products available.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:54 PM

stay away from the paint store till you know what you want.PLEASE!!!First of all their waiting for you guys to come in so they can get every bit of cash they can con you out of ,their salesmen.Go in with a list and stick to it ,know your brands and quantities call in your order so its ready and you know exactly how much it'll be,just like ordering a pizza second:I might be the guy behind you getting really peed off while you take an hour off my time playing around while my order(pizza)is getting cold .I'm in and out in less than five minutes I'm loosing seventy five dollars an hour waiting, thats why I'll interupt you right in the middle of your" what should I use conversation" and tell the salesman that I'm here to pick up my order.I hate to be rude but this is our business.Now...If you want to look around ask some questions thats cool but if someone comes in tell the salesman to go ahead and take care of that customer.It's just a matter of curtousy.get your ideas right here its best to go in knowing something and ask questions about certain products we talk about,you cant go wrong this way.Were here to help you but this is how you can help us.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the apology and the links.... Im sorry If I singled you out.... it is just a little frustrating when you are looking for advice and people either try talk you out of things or tell you leave it to a professional... every professional had to start some time... and nobody knows anybody else's capabilities....
So...Simon ,no need to get frustrated mabee I can help make it simple,after all I've had years of experiance being simple minded.Most importantly,always keep this in mind:There are many ways to do a paint job,many products out there many different qualities and costs.So heres what I suggest to you for a decent end result keep the cost low but use the best cheap stuff you can get(spending more will not help)it'll just cost that much more if something screws up.something that'll shine good for five years(next year you'll paint something else ,mabee sooner)dont use a cheap gun (a decent gun will go for 200 to 300.000)thats another thing that'll mess you up,you really need to know your gun and how the knobs work,get some really cheap paint and paint everything you want (like your tool box)get some practice."prep is everything" the actual painting is pretty EZ its all the other stuff that gives you trouble. So,you want to know what kind of material to use? I can help with that, I've used about everything
should I keep going?You might be a natural born painter ,you sound like you really want to learn.I remember when I was in your shoes.......Mike O.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.