Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ladder bar adjustments
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 07:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

JS, yes the difference of 186lbs lft to rt on the front when sitting static. Billy has a point somewhat about the braking torques, just that at high speeds and instantanious braking it looks (like I said...on paper) as though it could pull left a bit on the initial hit of the brakes.

While I don't totally agree with Billy about his numbers, the point about reaction of the driveline remains the same. Actual TQ is multiplied through the convertor, 1st gear, rear axle ratio, then divided by 2 and multiplied by the tire radius in excess of 12inches. Putting it simply your 600lbft of TQ turns into around 4500-5000lbft at the ground. That's a lot of "work".

I do these power calculations on my snowmobiles. I disagree with track dynos that say a 160 HP combination has only 80HP on the snow. Converting HP back to TQ says different. You can't launch 750lbs of sled and rider skis up from zero to 100mph in 500ft on 80HP. Logic tells us what were doing here on both examples.

Though it's a little dated, I suggest a copy of a book by Dave Morgan titled "Doorslammers". The information is very valuable in helping sort out chassis combinations. The book is like $30. I haven't looked at mine in years, and my scanner is malfunctioned at the moment or I'd scan some sample info and pics.

Did we get off topic a bit? I still stand by my way of initiating pre-load. The bars are the levers doing the work. The shocks and springs do support and damping. IMO shocks and springs should always strive to be equal.

Last note...if the car was level at the rockers would the bars be up or down? How do they relate to the car's "level" profile?