Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ladder bar adjustments
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
I'll try not to rant here...roundy-round cars are night and day different. They ask for a completely different dynamic action than drag cars because it's a straight line. We want launch control and firm handling down the track. Pre-loading springs for control causes ill handling at speeds and braking. The ONLY exception being shocks as they're dampers. They can be made to dampen the same in one direction and different in the other if they're double adjustable. Pre-load by virtue of the bar adds work force when needed (launch) and control when needed (down track and braking) without unwanted forces after launch.

This is not an argument! yet! lol

Circle tracks are in essence, two straight tracks connected at both ends. Once you get the car turned, after apex, it's all straight to the next corner entry. I'll agree about dynamic/static weight distribution at launch because the car is already rolling but the physics don't change. Your wrong about shocks. They are not dampers per say, but timing devices. Dampers absorb energy and shocks simply slow the springs down. Not absorb the motion. All shocks that are rebuildable have replaceable pistons to control their compression and rebound characteristics. Not just double adjustables. That only means they are user adjustable. Otherwise disassembly is required. Maybe I'm missing your point, But I'm thinking you are saying the chassis works differently between the two type of cars. I'm saying, if you give me your drag car I can make it turn corners just by moving suspension points. A four link that goes straight, is the same four link under my circle track car. As far as deceleration goes I think you have to remove drive shaft torque lifting the RR because it's not doing anything after you shift to neutral. If left in gear, the engine slowing the car would put drivshaft torque back into play, that might unload the LR and cause problems. With the system freewheeling, You rely on the brakes that are connected to the axle, and remembering opposite and equal reaction, braking forces cancel out and do'nt change load at their respective wheels. Weight being shifted forward places less weight at the back, let it lift to high and it'll get to drifting around (loose). Keep it from rising at all and you'll diminish traction in the front(tight). If one wheel or set of wheel has more traction than another than I agree it can get out of control. But when both tires aren't using 100% of their available grip like at launch. A little weight here and there won't matter. Wouldn't all passenger cars a pull since non of then use a "square" corner weights? I hope I'm not getting on your nerves.