Ladder Bar Rear Axle Centering - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2004, 06:04 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ladder Bar Rear Axle Centering

I have a backhalved 1969 Pro Street Camaro with a ladder bar setup. I didn't build this rear of this and am new to ladder bars (and suspension geometry!)

The vehicle does not sit quite square over the back axle. The (huge) rear tires have little clearance with the fenders, which I could live with if everything was even but one side has a reasonable gap, the other side has almost nothing and will rub against the fender.

I have tried varying the setup of the ladder bars to even the gap but can't seems to get it right. I have managed to get it square several times with on ramps but put it back on the road and it falls back into the wrong place. I have managed to move the gap from one side to the other but have no idea how.

The ladder bars have a diagonal rod between them which I undestand to be a track locator (watts link). I am not sure if it is this I need to adjust, something else, or if the rear was just setup incorrectly to start with. I find the latter unlikley as my existing ill infomred efforts have at least moved the gap around.

I am at a frustrated loss! Vehicle is setup for racing but is street driven on rare occasions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

I would start measuring everything on the rearend.
Distance from axle ends to where the ladder bars mount, cross measure (right axle to left ladder, etc). If all the numbers come up okay, start adjusting the Watts link.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

The ladder bars have no bearing on the side-to-side gap. The pan hard bar (most likely what you have - consist of a single link from one side of the frame to the opposite side of the rear axle) or watts linkage (sort of works like a pan hard bar but is made of two links attached to both sides of the frame and to a link attached to the center of the rear axle) is where you need to concentrate your efforts. There should be an adjustment there that can be tweaked to center the axle. If properly built the adjustment is made just like a tie rod on the front end with a tube with LH and RH threads on either end, jamb nuts and screw-in rod ends. Loosen the jamb nuts and turn the connector link to move the rear end left or right 'til centered.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Re: Ladder Bar Rear Axle Centering

Quote:
Originally posted by gilesletheren
....The ladder bars have a diagonal rod between them which I undestand to be a track locator (watts link). I am not sure if it is this I need to adjust, something else, or if the rear was just setup incorrectly to start with.
The diagonal link is not a "watts link". It is however your locating link and that is what should be adjusted for side to side clearance.

Disconnect the diagonal link at the front and then center the rear end. Adjust the diagonal link so it bolts back to the original location without moving anything and you should have the rear adjusted.

The diagonal link is pretty much a race setup. For the street most people use a Pan-hard bar or Watts Link, both of which are mounted between the rear end housing and the frame and pretty much hold the rear end in the center of the chassis as the suspension goes through its movement.

Centerline
Old 05-17-2004, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

Sorted! Thank you all

Five minutes of effort and I have a perfectly centered rear. Its amazing how easy these things are when you know how. Its also amazing how I couldn't figure this one out for myself. I was convinced it was to do with ladder bar length and thought the diagonal bar was just for triangulation.

Thanks! Seeing as you guys are so clever does anyone know what I can do about the ladder bar shaped bump on my head
Old 05-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Want to compare you ladder bar bump with my Willys oak soft top support crease across my skull?

(Super-stiff Willys Gasser leaf spring suspension + oak wood beam across the soft top insert that is right over my head + rail road tracks @ 55mph = crease!)
Old 05-18-2004, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

Ouch - I feel your pain! I could argue that oak is softer than steel but that would just be pedantic. Oak is quite hard enough thank you. Hmm. Carved oak ladder bars. Now that might look really cool.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.