Hot Rod Forum banner

Lake/ side pipe question

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Magnus_Jager 
#1 ·
I have a 1954 dodge coronet 4 door. You can see pics of it in my project journal. I have recently started thinking about running lake, or side pipes down the sides. The care was originally a single exhaust car, and the person who installed the duals did a poor job of it. So I will be replacing the exhaust. Looking through some pics I started thinking about side pipes. Solves some of the problems with routing the pipes.

I am also in the middle of replacing panels on the car, and have been working on the rocker panels. What I'm considering is recessing the rocker to accomodate a lake pipe or heat sheilded sidepipe. Leave the fender the way it is, recess the rockers back to the end of the back doors and putting the pipes more flush with the body.

Here's the issues I could see happening with this design. Heat baking off the paint in the recessed area. Slightly reduced strength in the rocker, but it's a full frame car.

Here is a VERY rough picture i made with MS paint.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Not a bad Idea pretty inovative actually.

If you put Stainless steel as a heat shield in the cut out you made it would enhance the look and you would never get any paint comming off.

I put side pipes on a V8 vega I built and they were a big problem. The install was pretty clean I made headers that exited through the fender well just behind the front tires and brought them along the rockers. No paint ever peeled or blistered. and they were pretty close to the body.

The problems I had were with noise And unwanted police attention. Side pipes are a cop magnet. The only way I could quiet them down was to put diverters in them and this reduced performance extremely.

Ric

#3 · (Edited)
Here's a set up I made to hook up some Patriot fake four into one side pipes. Only one pipe is a thru pipe the others are blocked off. A short turbo style muffler could be used in the area where the flex joint is. Just remember that the engine & exhaust system is mounted in rubber and moves with the engine, if you mount the pipes solid and without some sort of flex joint, the system will break or twist at the joints and leak.:thumbup:

Attachments

#6 ·
Cool thanks for the pics, and advice. The point I'm at right now is I've finished about half of the rocker repair, and most of the floor, but I could easily switch gears at this point and do this. I think it's time to do some measuring, and looking at what's out there.

Perhaps start with a pair of these, to redirect the exhaust to the front and quiet the ride a little?

http://www.accurateltd.com/highflow.htm

Then some lakers hooked to this...

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=156707&prmenbr=361

That would be both funtional and swweettt! Now a nice bypass between the inlet and outlet pipe one the muffler and boom on command.

http://www.buickgn.com/electricexhaustcutout.htm

I do not advertise or recomend any of these places, just using them to show possible parts configurations. It will take some measuring to determine what if anything will work...

#7 ·
I've been thinking about the same thing and my stopper was quieting down things, using that muffler to redirect the exhaust is a sweet idea! I'll have to pull my thinking back off the back burner and look into this some more! Thanks for putting up those links :)

Lance

#8 ·
They used those mufflers on the old AAR Cudas and TA challengers for the side vent exhausts, seemed like a good way to redirect, just replace the u-pipe in pony's pics with the mufflers.

I'm still not sure that will fit under my car though. Not only is my trans under there, I also have the stock underfloor master-cylinder and clutch assembly to work around. However, it seemed like a possiblilty. Need to go out in the cold NY garage and lay down on the cement to measure this out.

:sweat:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.