Hot Rod Forum banner

Lambo doors..

6K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  79C10 
#1 ·
Ok I know they are lame, but has anyone here done a set of Lambo doors on anything?

A guy came in with a Porsche Targa (older one) wanting me to do a set.

He has a universal set from tt diablo, and they are sturdy looking and come with some instructions.

I'm not scared of the mechanics or the installation, but some clue as to some of the pitfalls of that kind of install would be nice. I don't usually work on newer "forn" cars , but it might be fun to try one out. (yes, imahoe)

I am imagining that a cheesy car like a Porsche would need reinforcing in the front door edge, as it's going to change the direction of the loads on the inner panels and a pillars.

Thanks for reading this, mikey

#2 ·
Mikey, I have never done one, but looked close at a number of them in person. Yes, they are lame, yes L-A-M-E but engineering marvels. :) I opened and closed one a number of times at SEMA just watching it work, I'm easily entertained.

They look straight up bolt on, as far as the ones I saw. They bolt right were the hinges mount and seemed to "work" as best as you could imagine for something that is TRYING to change the design from the factory so much.

The "hole" the door closes into is just not designed to work with the door moving in this direction, so of course the "lambo" doors really aren't "Lamro" style, but a sorta close counterfet. The door opens OUT, then up, and closes down, THEN in. If you don't do this just perfect things hit, that are not supposed to hit! In other words, if the owner doesn't pull the door down correct and it comes in a little as it comes down, WHAM it hits the quarter. If you blow up photos of cars with these doors you may be able to see the chipped paint around the doors and jambs from them hitting. Almost every car I have looked at in person had these chips.

That all being said, make sure the customers expectations are low, that he doesn't expect YOU to make these things work perfect. And give a super ball park with a time and materials bid.

Brian

#5 ·
That poster is too funny :thumbup:

That's what I was wondering Brian, if the mechanism had some provision for maintaining clearances during operation, or if they were as awkward as they look.
The targa door pocket is just like any other car with a big hollow in the A pillar that the door's leading edge swings into.

To be honest, I never did a set before, I never even looked at a set ...(I put vertical doors in the same useless class as "spinners")

The set the guy has are universal fit, that's why he wants me to do them...

What about adjustment? Do those things stay adjusted , or does the door inner panel and A pillar constantly move around if you yank the door in the wrong direction?
Do the people who have them expect crappy operation? Or am I going to have gangsters coming back for years expecting me to readjust the doors every time the thing binds up and pushes the bulkhead out of whack?

I know I should just say no...but.....never mind.

Thanks, mikey

#7 ·
MARTINSR said:
That is all I would have to hear to run as fast as I could to the nearest exit.

Brian
Gawd Brian...why do you always have to challenge me like that....Now I have to do them.. :smash

The website said it would only take 8 hours..so it should only take me about 60. I mean.... they are universal....they will fit anything....that's what it says on the website.. :rolleyes:

All you need is a drill and 2 wrenches.

Lay them next to the car....tomorrow morning they will have installled themselves.

And there will be 10 fine chicks rubbing all over the car when I get there.

With tacos.

I guess I should read the instructions...

Later, mikey

#8 ·
Mikey -
ALL fine chicks have Tacos.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
Tacos.......

BTW - those doors are a royal PITA to own and operate ,I can only IMAGINE to pitfalls involved with making hollow pillars STRUCTURAL ..... :pain:
It's not like it's never been done before , but I aint gonna try Mt. Everest either !
My friend has them on a 1996 Geo Prism ( eeewwwww ) Total joke of a car , but it's his chariot :rolleyes: so I ain't judgin.( yes I am )

Best of luck , and if - in your adventure - you make up any new swear words - let us know !
p.s. -
be on the lookout for a sssssnakey 'lissa parody thread.
(shhhhhhhh)

#11 ·
79C10 said:
BTW - those doors are a royal PITA to own and operate ...
Sounds to me like you'll end up with a dis-satisfied custom through no fault of your own. No matter WHAT you say up front, the customer will expect these doors to work perfectly for the life of the car, particularly since they were installed by a pro. So when he jerks one down and chips his paint...he's going to be blaming you - not the door - not himself - You.

I think what I'd tell that customer is, "I've read over these instructions and I think I can save you a ton of money. You can install these YOURSELF...no problem."

#12 ·
This is my concern, I know you can install them Mikey. And they will work better most of the others we see, you will likely "fine tune" them a little better. But as my dad aways said "You can't polish a turd". after you install them, your customer doesn't own them, YOU do.

They REALLY are funky Mikey. You know how when you bolt on some hood latch kit from a rod company and you look at it and think "man they should have done this or that". It "works" but man you could have built it yourself and it would have been a little better.....multiply that feeling times a hundred. Only problem is, you likely couldn't have made them better. These hinges are designed to TRY to make a door operate in a completely different manner than the car was designed from the very start. Every single thing associated with that door, the rubber, latches, windows, structure, sheetmetal, EVERY SINGLE thing was designed for the door to work in a totally different fashion. Then, after all that, some guy makes up this hinge to change ALL that.
I know you love challenges, and this is just that. But unless you have a LOT of time to eat and not get paid for. And the car is not that nice, so if you chip a thing or two it won't matter. And you don't make any modifications that you can't quickly undo, I say let it pass.

Now, if you want to "give it a try" and bolt the thing on and give it a whirl, go for it. Like I say, they are an engineering marvel.

Brian

#13 ·
You are right Brian, I have no doubt that I could make them work. I have no doubt that I could reinforce the a pillar and door so you could pick the car up with the door handle.

But I'll build extra stuff, and tweak on it until it's right, not get paid for my time, and when I'm done, it'll still be a VW with a lame door hinge...(I mean Porsche.)

I didn't know that keeping the door off of the adjoining panels is the responsibility of the operator. Does Lamborghini have the door pocket cut to allow movement without the chance of paint chips? I'll bet the real lambo hinge is designed better with some limiting devices that keep door parts from occupying the same space at the same time.
I can't imagine that an expensive car like that would have a design that allowed self mutilation.

Everything tells me this isn't the time to take this job on.
I've got a guy with a 48 Studebaker that's been bugging me to straighten out his front suspension /airbag woes, for several months now....at straight T&M... :pimp:

I never worked on a stude before either, but it looks more fun than having a vdub in the house...

I can always find my tacos somewhere else... :D

Thanks, mikey

#14 ·
powerrodsmike said:
I didn't know that keeping the door off of the adjoining panels is the responsibility of the operator. Does Lamborghini have the door pocket cut to allow movement without the chance of paint chips? I'll bet the real lambo hinge is designed better with some limiting devices that keep door parts from occupying the same space at the same time.
I can't imagine that an expensive car like that would have a design that allowed self mutilation.
Mike,

Real Lambos have doors that are designed to open up.

Note on the real thing, the door has a single hinge point at the very top, and the front and back of the door both angle so that the door "falls" into the receiving hole of the body.

As Brian said, the "lambo door" kits have amazing engineering, but they only can work by swinging the door outwards first, then allowing it to hinge upwards

Note that the doors sort of "butterfly" out (tuner kids with Lambo doors hate that description). They don't go straight up like the real thing.

You can't (easily) get around the fact that the door is made to hinge from a vertical point at the front of the door - it just isn't going to work like a real Lamborghini without reshaping the door and opening.

One thing that might be good is if you could somehow modify the mechanism to prevent the door from closing onto the body when it is hinged upwards. I don't know if its possible, but it would be a logical change to make to prevent damage down the road.

#15 ·
Thanks ckucia, that makes my mind up...

That type of modification is not a worthwhile one for me to do.

Challenge or not,

It will not enhance the operation of the door at all, and it sacrifices functionality for appearance and is strictly done for an illusion of grandeur. :confused:

Later, mikey

#16 ·
I sure like them on a lambourghini. Wish all cars had them, Imagine a world without door dings! They sure look like a huge time/effort to retrofit though. I would imagine they work great for a year or two, then the pins start wearing and door sag sets in ....... Why bother, so many better ways to spend your time.

#18 ·
powerrodsmike said:
Thanks ckucia, that makes my mind up...

That type of modification is not a worthwhile one for me to do.

Challenge or not,

It will not enhance the operation of the door at all, and it sacrifices functionality for appearance and is strictly done for an illusion of grandeur. :confused:

Later, mikey
This is why I really don't "get" doing suicide doors. It adds nothing but a "wow" factor (notice it is a small "wow", not a "WOW") and it is only seen when the car is at it's least attractive time....when the doors are open. I feel the time is way better spent on mods that inhance the looks of the car as it sits there or is driven by.

As mentioned the door on the lambo comes down into a "hole" designed for it. The window for instance is at a steep angle, sort of "laying" down on the roof more than fitting into the side of the car like on the Porsche.

Brian

#19 ·
I just called the guy back, and told him I don't want to do it..

In talking to some local guys, besides hearing the same things Brian and ckucia said, I found a guy at a body shop up the street who likes installing those things...

I hooked them up.
It's a match made in heaven, I'm sure.

Thank you all for the help. :thumbup:

mikey

#20 ·
powerrodsmike said:
I found a guy at a body shop up the street who likes installing those things...I hooked them up.
Smart move Mikey. Customer gets the doors he wants. Body shop guy loves you for the referral. And you don't have to be worried about that thing coming back in the shop every 6 months. Everybody wins. Plus I doubt you would have made a whole ton of money on that job. You'd want it to be right and that would require a gob of your time...for which you probably couldn't charge full rate.

#21 ·
we had a Tahoe come in with those awful things in stalled on it and it was supposed to be a kit for this thing too. The doors didn't fit right and were hard to close. Also in a good wind I bet the doors could slap the roof of the thing. I never done any and I have turned down a few people to do them. Seeing them up close ...what a waste. Maybe good for show but not for every day use. Tim

#22 ·
This is why I really don't "get" doing suicide doors. It adds nothing but a "wow" factor (notice it is a small "wow", not a "WOW") and it is only seen when the car is at it's least attractive time....when the doors are open. I feel the time is way better spent on mods that inhance the looks of the car as it sits there or is driven by.
If you trace the suicide doors back, it was done as a "fix" for "a mod that WAS done for the looks of the car". The auto stylists of that time were trying to go with the swept back body lines to mimic speed & motion. They angled the cowl to hood parting line and then angled the nearby front door edge. Then there was no way to mount hinges on the severe angle...and the suicide door was born.

I believe it was 1932, with the Plymouth PB. Ford had the doors on the 3 window only, but with a vertical hood line. Ford in 33 did what Plymouth did in 32...a slanted rear hood line too.

I owned a 32 PB cabriolet and I did not care for the suicide doors. Making a front angled door requires it to be much longer & heavier. It just felt heavy & clumsy.

#23 ·
F&J said:
If you trace the suicide doors back, it was done as a "fix" for "a mod that WAS done for the looks of the car". The auto stylists of that time were trying to go with the swept back body lines to mimic speed & motion. They angled the cowl to hood parting line and then angled the nearby front door edge. Then there was no way to mount hinges on the severe angle...and the suicide door was born.

I believe it was 1932, with the Plymouth PB. Ford had the doors on the 3 window only, but with a vertical hood line. Ford in 33 did what Plymouth did in 32...a slanted rear hood line too.

I owned a 32 PB cabriolet and I did not care for the suicide doors. Making a front angled door requires it to be much longer & heavier. It just felt heavy & clumsy.

That is some interesting stuff there :thumbup:

A while back, when I worked at Poli Form, a guy in some foreign country, (France I think), wanted us to build him a 34 Ford coupe body with doors that opened at the front instead of back. IIRC it was because of the DOT laws in his country...

We said no.
(I did look at it and pondered making a single giant hinge mounted at the front lower corner.so the door would swing level,.and then said no again.)

Later, mikey

#25 ·
F&J said:

That IS very interesting, thanks!

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.