Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Lambo doors..
Thread: Lambo doors..
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 09:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
I didn't know that keeping the door off of the adjoining panels is the responsibility of the operator. Does Lamborghini have the door pocket cut to allow movement without the chance of paint chips? I'll bet the real lambo hinge is designed better with some limiting devices that keep door parts from occupying the same space at the same time.
I can't imagine that an expensive car like that would have a design that allowed self mutilation.
Mike,

Real Lambos have doors that are designed to open up.

Note on the real thing, the door has a single hinge point at the very top, and the front and back of the door both angle so that the door "falls" into the receiving hole of the body.

As Brian said, the "lambo door" kits have amazing engineering, but they only can work by swinging the door outwards first, then allowing it to hinge upwards

Note that the doors sort of "butterfly" out (tuner kids with Lambo doors hate that description). They don't go straight up like the real thing.

You can't (easily) get around the fact that the door is made to hinge from a vertical point at the front of the door - it just isn't going to work like a real Lamborghini without reshaping the door and opening.

One thing that might be good is if you could somehow modify the mechanism to prevent the door from closing onto the body when it is hinged upwards. I don't know if its possible, but it would be a logical change to make to prevent damage down the road.