Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Lambo doors..
Thread: Lambo doors..
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
If you trace the suicide doors back, it was done as a "fix" for "a mod that WAS done for the looks of the car". The auto stylists of that time were trying to go with the swept back body lines to mimic speed & motion. They angled the cowl to hood parting line and then angled the nearby front door edge. Then there was no way to mount hinges on the severe angle...and the suicide door was born.

I believe it was 1932, with the Plymouth PB. Ford had the doors on the 3 window only, but with a vertical hood line. Ford in 33 did what Plymouth did in 32...a slanted rear hood line too.

I owned a 32 PB cabriolet and I did not care for the suicide doors. Making a front angled door requires it to be much longer & heavier. It just felt heavy & clumsy.

That is some interesting stuff there

A while back, when I worked at Poli Form, a guy in some foreign country, (France I think), wanted us to build him a 34 Ford coupe body with doors that opened at the front instead of back. IIRC it was because of the DOT laws in his country...

We said no.
(I did look at it and pondered making a single giant hinge mounted at the front lower corner.so the door would swing level,.and then said no again.)

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example