Hot Rod Forum banner

Lame Ford v-6 engine

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  BogiesAnnex1 
#1 ·
I have a project 1987 Ford T-bird with a measly 3.8, 120 hp engine (of course, that was when it was new) with 171k miles one it. I was wondering if anybody knows of any bolt-ons that will double the hp output.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Sorry, but you need to bolt on a little common sense first.

The engine is beat, and even when it was new, there were no "bolt-ons" that would double the HP. As noted, nitrous will give you a noticeable boost in HP, right up until you need to pick the crank up off the pavement. Swapping in a supercharged 3.8 would be cool, but obviously is not a "bolt-on". You need to get realistic with your desires and budget.

#7 ·
One day, I test drove two 3000Gts. One was naturally aspirated, the other was twin turboed. The first one was pretty good, but the second one rocked. I understand that the TT pumped out about 420hp. So, I was figuring that if a 3 liter Mit. could do over 400 hp with TT, a 3.8 Ford could at the very least come up to 300 hp. without breaking too much of a sweat.
I consider 171 k miles on an engine relatively low, as the last few devices I have owned had at least 275K miles (oldsmobile), some over 300k (mercedes, ford, honda), and a couple of Ford trucks I sold to a friend of mine are already over 400k (without any mods, of course).
I am hoping a 3.8 Ford has more potential than what is generally thought.

#8 ·
Again, time for common sense. Adding twin turbos to this motor is NOT the "bolt-on" you asked for in your first post. There is a lot of fabrication required, in addition to the reprogramming of the ECU. Expect to spend a lot of time on a dyno getting that dialed in. Factory turbo motors have heavier duty internals, forged pistons, etc. Your car does not. Doubling the HP would be marginal on that stock motor when new.

Good luck. You'll put a lot of work into this and it will flame brightly until it blows.

#9 ·
I have put a 455 Olds engine/trans in a Chev. pickup and a 350 Chev. engine/trans in a Datsun 280ZX in the past, but those were carbed. I don't know how it would go changing fuel injected power plants.

Thus, I am looking to increase the hp in this boat anchor without changing out the engine. Interestingly enough, it does lay a little rubber when taking off from a dead stop.

I wonder if one of those SC (was that a vortech blower?) that were produced to bolt on to the front of a 5.0 Ford would at least head me in the right direction (if it would bolt on, of course).

#12 ·
If it were mine the electronics would go and so would the V6 and automatic.

I'd slip in a carbed 302 or 351 if Ford with a T5 or T56 gear box or a small block Chevy 350 or 383 with aluminum heads and intake with a beefed up 700R4 or a stick.

Down the road I'd move the rear axle to an 8.8 inch with 3.23 gears for the freeway or 3.73's for a bit of acceleration from a dead stop.

Beef up the suspension and brakes and go Beemer hunting.

Bogie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.