Landau foam for door panels - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 04:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Landau foam for door panels

Is it mandatory to rough up the smooth surface of the foam before you can spray the adhesive for your tweed or vinyl? The foam feels pretty smooth and I want to make the material sticks to it. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I do sand mine.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Always look up in a custom

Last photo:

Volara foam (landau foam), when it's made, has a skin form on it. Sanding the foam breaks through this skin. Otherwise, if you glue to the smooth surface, there is a great risk that the glue will rip off the skin and let whatever covering you have release. It becomes a mess at that point. Especially when putting on an actual landau top. Not that I speak from experience or anything...like in the middle of a 37-foot top on a limo. Yikes.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:29 AM

Thanks guys! What grit do I use?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchevy
Thanks guys! What grit do I use?
Use a grit that is rough enough to scratch the skin surface of the foam, but not gritty enough to dig into it with gouges. probably 180 will do fine, just don't get too aggressive with it.

Vince
Old 02-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Vince is right!! It don't take much to mess it up.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:51 PM

Last photo:

I go a little more aggressive when sanding my foam. Using the 180 tends to slide over the surface and more risk of tearing the foam. So I very LIGHTLY sand with 80 grit wrapped around a soft sanding board. Boy, talk about a mess. All those puffs of foam sticking to everything. I'm the only one at my house who laughs when I see American Hot Rod and they are at Gabe's shop. They also do a quick comment from his son right after he's sanded a panel. Looks just like out in the shop.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:00 AM

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2008, 05:37 PM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitcher_guy
Boy, talk about a mess. All those puffs of foam sticking to everything. I'm the only one at my house who laughs when I see American Hot Rod and they are at Gabe's shop. They also do a quick comment from his son right after he's sanded a panel. Looks just like out in the shop.
Years back, a friend of mine who did a little bit of automotive painting told me that he grounds a car with a jumper cable while he's sanding on it, because it won't build up the static charge that attracts dust that way. He clips one end of the cable to the car's frame, and the other end to a pipe in his garage. He leaves it grounded until he's completely finished painting it, and swears that it helps a lot.

With that in mind, I watched my wife try to spin some high-quality silk fiber into yarn on her spinning wheel one day, and she was complaining about how the silk fibers picked up static electricity so easily. I watched for a while, and was surprised at how they wanted to fly all over the place, sticking to everything as she tried to spin it - mostly her. To cure the problem, I went out to the garage and grabbed a spool of .020 copper lockwire, wrapped one end of it around her ankle, and clipped the other end to a copper pipe under the bathroom sink with a pair of vice-grips - effectively grounding her.

You laugh now, but it worked like a charm. Grounding her dissipated the static as it formed, and she didn't look like a shaggy dog like she had before I did that.

In the garage, I've been known to clip one end of a jumper cable to a good ground source, then clip the end of an electronics worker's ground strap (about $3 at Radio Shack) to the other end of the jumper cable. I then wrap the wrist cuff of the ground strap around my ankle to ground myself while I'm sanding. If I'm wearing flip-flops, I'll just kick one of them off and step on the other end of that jumper cable while I'm sanding. I don't build up a static charge that way, and I wind up much cleaner at the end of the day.

Give it a shot - it really works.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

Dusty. That is an awesome suggestion. I love it. That is the most aggravating part, trying to get the foam puffs off my hands and clothes once I"m done. That would also work when sanding foam with a grinder. All of that creates a huge static buildup, I'm sure. Especially right now in Winter with the dry air. I'll have to give it a try. I have a large roll of copper wire, in fact.

Thanks.
Russell
Old 02-18-2008, 08:06 AM

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty82
With that in mind, I watched my wife try to spin some high-quality silk fiber into yarn on her spinning wheel one day, and she was complaining about how the silk fibers picked up static electricity so easily. I watched for a while, and was surprised at how they wanted to fly all over the place, sticking to everything as she tried to spin it - mostly her. To cure the problem, I went out to the garage and grabbed a spool of .020 copper lockwire, wrapped one end of it around her ankle, and clipped the other end to a copper pipe under the bathroom sink with a pair of vice-grips - effectively grounding her.
With my luck the mother-in-law or worst yet cops would drop by for a visit. Try to explaining that!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:25 AM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude076
With my luck the mother-in-law or worst yet cops would drop by for a visit. Try to explaining that!
You know it's funny you should mention that... While I was running the wire from the bathroom to her craft room, my father called. When he asked me what I was up to, it took him a good 2 minutes to quit laughing when I told him.

That was about 3 years ago, and I still don't think he really believes me.

Russell - You'll still get foam on you, and it'll still fly all over the place, but it won't stick to you like it does now. We're in the desert (where a baby's first words are usually, "But it's a dry heat...") so we deal with dry air and static electricity all the time. People learn really quickly to hold onto the door of a car before they slide out of the seat so they don't zap the biscuits out of themselves when they grab the door to close it. Try it out and tell me what you think.

Last edited by Dusty82; 02-18-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:11 PM

One more question about sanding- do you need to sand BOTH sides of the foam?. Will it stick to your substrate if you don't sand it first?? Thanks!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

Wherever you want it to stick, the skin has to be removed. That means both sides if you're gluing to both faces. Otherwise, you'll have a great bond between material and foam, and it could all lift off from the surface and leave you with a real mess.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:56 PM

Thanks stitcher guy!

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.