Lanolin on journal faces? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 07:10 AM

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Lanolin on journal faces?

Here's an odd one I heard on Tuesday.

We went down to a local VW repair shop because my buddy had some questions about a case he was thinking about rebuilding. Had some serious end thrust on the case and we wanted to see if it was worth trying to line bore to correct it and use the case for a mild 1641 or 1700 build on his '64 bug. We got to talking motors and general building with the shop owner, exchanging methods, ideas, what to use to seal the bug case, assembly tips, etc..

He mentioned something that he learned from a bunch of circle track racers back in the 70s. They used lanolin (plain old beauty store lanolin) on the backs of all their main and rod bearings to ensure they seat and reduce the risk of them spinning. Apparently the properties of lanolin make it desirable in this application. At ambient temps, its viscosity is pretty gooey (technical term), however when it heats up, it gets really sticky, helping keep the bearings in place at high revs. He was having trouble with his SBC spinning bearings at high revs and noticed all these circle track guys spinning their motors to 8000 RPMs, running the piss out of them, and never having that problem. Once he started doing the lanolin thing, he never had that problem again and he's been assembling his motors with it ever since without any problems.

Well, I googled my tush off and didn't find that trick anywhere out there in internet land, so I figured I would ask ya'll if this technique was something anyone has heard of. Thoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Last photo:

Sorry I don't believe a word of it. There is no way anything can go between the main bearings and block that will not affect clearances or squeeze completely out when torqued down. Anecdotal evidence about what he did to his SBC to keep it from spinning bearings is pure nonsense IMHO.

Vince
Old 11-12-2009, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

I agree with Vince.

Been building engines on a commercial level since the sixties.

About the only thing lanolin could do is contaminate the oil
Old 11-12-2009, 08:50 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I actually have heard of it, BUT I have never tried it myself.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:15 AM

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:

Good to know folks, thanks!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos
Here's an odd one I heard on Tuesday.

We went down to a local VW repair shop because my buddy had some questions about a case he was thinking about rebuilding. Had some serious end thrust on the case and we wanted to see if it was worth trying to line bore to correct it and use the case for a mild 1641 or 1700 build on his '64 bug. We got to talking motors and general building with the shop owner, exchanging methods, ideas, what to use to seal the bug case, assembly tips, etc..

He mentioned something that he learned from a bunch of circle track racers back in the 70s. They used lanolin (plain old beauty store lanolin) on the backs of all their main and rod bearings to ensure they seat and reduce the risk of them spinning. Apparently the properties of lanolin make it desirable in this application. At ambient temps, its viscosity is pretty gooey (technical term), however when it heats up, it gets really sticky, helping keep the bearings in place at high revs. He was having trouble with his SBC spinning bearings at high revs and noticed all these circle track guys spinning their motors to 8000 RPMs, running the piss out of them, and never having that problem. Once he started doing the lanolin thing, he never had that problem again and he's been assembling his motors with it ever since without any problems.

Well, I googled my tush off and didn't find that trick anywhere out there in internet land, so I figured I would ask ya'll if this technique was something anyone has heard of. Thoughts?
This is older than me and I'm damn old. It goes back to the days of crude machining by the factories and even cruder repair methods in the field. The lanolin bakes at a fairly low temp into a sturdy but thin in section adhesive of considerable strength and will hold bearing inserts in place. For 8000 RPM I don't know, but I do know it takes a hammer and chisel to get the insert out after it's seen a few thousand miles. This dates back to the days when "align boring" bearings and setting clearances was achieved with shims not machining. The shim lifted the insert which could prevent the alignment/retention tang from fully engaging its notch in the saddle. This could, and did, lead to spun bearings, so the assembly of bearing shell and shims was glued together and to the saddle with lanolin.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.