Hot Rod Forum banner

Large cut off discs

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  S10 Racer 
#1 ·
I just thought I would post this as I think it's damn cool and never knew such a thing existed. One day at the local hardware store I found these cool larger cut off discs. They are the thin 1/16" but is like 3.5 or 4 inches in diameter. They aren't found in the autobody stores, this is why I mention it. They are VERY useful.

Sorry I don't have the part number. I'll get it if anyone wants it.

Brian

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool yes but be carefull. Many are not rated to 20,000 rpms. I have a friend that is lucky to be alive after one came apart and slit his throat. Missed the jugglar vein by 1/4 inch.

I use them on 4 inch angle grinder at 10,000 rpm's. On 4 inch grinder, you can cut a frame rail off in about 2 minutes.

BTW, Our favorite store, Harbor freight sells them in packs of 5 with 5/8 inch center hole.

John

#7 ·
i've never been a fan of cut off wheels in a die grinder; right angle or straight
too hard to control and they tend to hop out of the cut, weak motors and too high rpm

imo, best cut off is done with the 4 inch grinders and a 6 inch thin cut off wheel ... imo
easy to control for straight cuts, more like using a steel cutting skill saw
not good on curves obviously

#9 ·
I just thought I would post this as I think it's damn cool and never knew such a thing existed. One day at the local hardware store I found these cool larger cut off discs. They are the thin 1/16" but is like 3.5 or 4 inches in diameter. They aren't found in the autobody stores, this is why I mention it. They are VERY useful.

Sorry I don't have the part number. I'll get it if anyone wants it.

Brian

you don't get out much, ?:mwink:

they also come in 6" 8" 10" 12" great on table saws or sliding miter saws..

#10 ·
I'd like to say that when I use the angle grinder big disk I put on a face shield. They'll usually break from not using them right. Never really do it with the 3" but probably should. I put them on so the label is facing me so if it breaks the label will stop it somewhat. Probably doesn't even work but makes me feel safer. Only had one blow up on me.

#15 ·
... I put on a face shield.
Agreed. I saw a guy take a grinding wheel (not a cut off disc) right between the eyes. He was wearing a full face shield and the disc stuck right into the shield. No doubt he would have been scarred or worse.

The safety guy hung the shield on the wall of his office and used it as a visual to new hires as to the importance of full face shields.​

I just thought I would post this as I think it's damn cool and never knew such a thing existed. One day at the local hardware store I found these cool larger cut off discs. They are the thin 1/16" but is like 3.5 or 4 inches in diameter. They aren't found in the autobody stores, this is why I mention it. They are VERY useful.... Brian
I used my die grinder & cut off wheel this weekend to modify some stock '63-'66 C10 aluminum side trim. Worked great... not sure what would have worked better?

#11 ·
You must own more powerful die grinders than I do ;). I only use mine, with the smaller disks, when I need to make sharper corners than my 4" on a side grinder will handle.
Of interest however, is that a buddy of mine who owns a hot rod shop takes all my "work out" Razorblade wheels from the side grinder. I machined him an adaptor so he can use them on his die grinders and he loves them. the razor wheels last a LOT longer than any I've seen in the smaller size, which razor doesn't make. it was simple enough to make an adaptor to the 7/8" center hole.

Russ

#17 ·
I only buy the 4" discs for my angle grinder. Never had much use for the smaller cutoff discs myself. I also have some of those big 6" discs for my big angle grinder, and occasionally use them for large cutting jobs. They work great, and cut fast, but they also worry me when I use them. I'm always concerned the disc might grab, and kick back at me. That big 6" disc can do some real harm before I could get my finger off the trigger, so I'm extra careful using it!

#18 ·
I fully agree with face protection. in 1975 I was using a large diameter abrasive disk to cut on a motorcycle frame. The disk caught and jumped backward right into my face. I had a full face shield on and when the grinder hit the shield and went through it hitting me at tha base of my nose splitting my upper lip and dancing across my teeth.

I now treat all power tools as if they are out to kill me!!!:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.