Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Last Big Purchase for the New Shop
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Truck.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Modern day construction techniques and materials are unbelievable to old guys like me, but when an old guy that has been into building metal buildings for 37 years (mostly commercial) says that the epoxys are the way to go, I am going to trust his knowledge and experience. His insurance and bonding would not back him if it were not a tried and proven method, nor could he pass the picky building inspectors. He claims the concrete will break out before the epoxy lets go. The garage, which is engineered to with stand 95MPH winds is anchored with 5/8" coarse threaded rods, 4" deep. I am using a core drill for a couple of reasons: Rental of the drill is cheap, I have the 3/4 bit for the drill, The drill is water cooled and makes a clean hole, There are circulating water tubes 2" below the surface and I need serious control of the depth, And the core drill will not cause any cracking in the surrounding concrete.

I just received the invoice on the lift. Seems as though Worth no longer offers the 4400 pound air jacks on the trolly (these were "foreign made") so they are sending the US made 8000 pound jacks for the same price ($350 difference). Maybe I should make a fast run to Vegas?

Trees
There is no pull load on the epoxy anchors. I use to install free standing freight lifts. There is some side loading but for the most part its all down load.

The thing with wedge anchor or red heads it there only as good as the concrete is. I did a computer floor in California and being earth quake zone the anchor had to have the old "pull test". Need less to say half the anchor pulled out. Where you really need to sweat it is doing over head and vertical anchoring

Craig