Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Last Big Purchase for the New Shop
View Single Post
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2009, 05:57 PM
trees trees is offline
Member
 

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Smoky Mountains
Age: 76
Posts: 2,358
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK, it took 3 weeks for the lift to arrive and one week to put it up. I got another bonus when I checked the invoice. They sent me a wide runway lift vice the standard for the price of the standard. The runways are 20" wide vice the 14" I had ordered. Now I don't have to move the runways in and out when loading for my old stuff vice new stuff.

The entire lift shipped at 3200+ pounds and I am going to put this thing up?! We used the tractor with front end loader and fork lift tines to unload it and move into the garage. It was packaged in three bundles. Bundle one was the motor and pump package. Two was one runway with the big beam and hydraulic ram and the two approach ramps. Three was the other runway and the 4 posts and the boxes of bolts etc. The packaging was designed to lift the ramps from the end with the forklift tines narrowed down. It was all the tractor could do tho keep the nose up and back wheels on the ground!!! We got them into the garage on Fri evening. There was nothing I could do on the week end because I took the grand sons to Norfolk to visit their Dad on his ship. They got the grand tour and we spent the night on board.

Monday, Tues and Wed, I worked by myself because JB had gone fishing. Monday was uncrating, reading the instructions, and arranging the steel where it would be the least in the way. I did do the rough layout, thanks to a good tape measure and a laser line I bolted the top beam to the two side posts before going home. The cherry picker, floor jack and me had a big work out!! Tuesday, I was able to stand the main side up and get it on the spots I had laid out. I then rechecked my rough locations of the other two posts and they were a lot rougher than I thought. When I went home, it was starting to look like a lift was being raised here. Wed was spent locating epoxy, cutting the anchors to the length I wanted, and looking for the double barreled caulk gun. We had borrowed one for the construction of the garage, but it was being used out of town on another job. Ended up finding a epoxy that was in a split single tube so bought it and will return the double tubes. JB came in late from fishing and could not believe what I had done by my self. Thursday, we drilled and epoxied the anchor bolts on the main side. While waiting on it to dry, we ran the conduit to the motor and wired it up. I installed the nuts on the front post base and called it a day. This morning, I tightened down the nuts on the front post, rechecked the plumb on it and the rear post. I then installed the nuts on the rear post to finger tight. I located the off side posts and then installed the cross rails. The first one took me a couple of hours because a spring got away from me and hid inside the cross rail for quite some time before I decided to look for it in the least likely place it could be inside the cross rail. Then installed the other cross rail which only took about an hour. JB got back from another job in time to hoist the 5 gal can of hydraulic oil. We then ran the lift up about 6 inches and checked for level on the rails and plumb on the posts. Looked good so we went all the way up without the runways. We check level and plumb again and still looked good. We brought the cross rails down and then installed the run ways and ran it through again. Still looking good. Now all I have to do is drill and epoxy the anchor bolts for the off side posts, install the trollies and recheck all the bolts and fasteners. I am running an air line down from the ceiling but that may have to wait until I get back from Kansas.

Now for some pics.

Trees
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uncrating Has Begun.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	38703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Four Posts are Located.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	38704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Now to Drill for the Anchor Bolts.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	38705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lift is Almost Done.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	38706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Now to Recheck all Bolts and Clean up the Mess.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	38707  

Reply With Quote