The Late-Great Ed Roth - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2006, 02:50 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

i didnt meet currie .. he made me want to kick his shins before i ever got to say a word to him, lol

i have had a bunch of hour+ long car converstaions with Jim Oddy tho ... but i always seem to meet people who have no idea who he is ...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2006, 04:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

My thoughts on Ed Roth

When I was a young teenager growing up in the midst of the world of hot rods, and Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, I became influenced by both.
I loved the way he drew his creations with a flair that thumbed his nose at conventional styled art.
He may not of been the most stylish artist but sure was the most humorist of all hot rod artists.
I praise the man for influencing the many of us who loved and appreciated his work.
I know of the many times I drew similar designs on shirts for friends and associates. Created a few of my own "Monsters" behind the wheels of various hot rods, from street machines to Gassers. I still love to draw those things that extracts the "Rebel" in me.
Of all the artists who draw cars, many are influenced in some way or another to the talent of that man.
I had a friend who knew Roth on a personal basis, now both have passed to the great beyond.
I am sure he is sorely missed... but I am glad to grown up with an appreciation of this kind of art.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for sharing Rubiarm,
It's true, Big Daddy's art was much more than just cartoons of hotrods. It would have to be in order to instill memories that transcend decades. I read the funnies as a kid- but I honestly can't remember a single comic strip that inspired me so much- that I actually remember the first time I saw it.

And this ones for lowroller:
Do you mean this Jim Oddy?

Yes- he won (1968)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File0004.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	16190  
Old 11-13-2006, 10:31 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkwork
And this ones for lowroller:
Do you mean this Jim Oddy?

Yes- he won (1968)
THAT Jim Oddy

i went to his shop for the first time because at that time on that day, it was the nearest performance / race shop open to answer a simple cylinder head question... he answered it in about 10 seconds, 3 of those seconds were the actual answer, the other 7 was slightly related info that he wanted me to know. we talked for another 90 minutes. i seriously learned a years worth of stuff in that 90 minutes, no doubt about it

youd think i threw a 10 million dollars in cash on the counter and said "you have 90 minutes to teach me everything possible"
Old 11-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Oddy Retires From Full Time Racing
Old 11-15-2006, 12:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowROLLERchevy
THAT Jim Oddy

i went to his shop for the first time because at that time on that day, it was the nearest performance / race shop open to answer a simple cylinder head question... he answered it in about 10 seconds, 3 of those seconds were the actual answer, the other 7 was slightly related info that he wanted me to know. we talked for another 90 minutes. i seriously learned a years worth of stuff in that 90 minutes, no doubt about it

youd think i threw a 10 million dollars in cash on the counter and said "you have 90 minutes to teach me everything possible"
It's amazing what happens when we talk to someone who has accomplished a great deal within a specific venue; especially if we are interested in that same topic. We go about our journey, learning, inventing and overcoming various issues, some self-imposed, and some not. During this adventure, we begin to see ourselves a certain way. We begin to gain confidence through our trials. Over time, our knowledge begins to grow, and with that, wisdom becomes a part of our intellectual toolbox, as it relates to what ever that aforementioned venue is. Eventually, we actually begin to feel like somewhat of an "expert" in that particular field. We realize we don't know everything, granted;there is always something new to learn, but we feel proud of ourselves, regarding all of the information that we do know. Then we meet someone, much like your meeting with Jim Oddy-and find out that we really don't know *****! I have been there my friend.-It's exciting, and humbling at the same time. Those are memories!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:18 PM

RE Ed Roth

Back in the early 60s, Ed was a special guest at a custom show in Chicago. I convinced my late dad to take me and a friend, and he did. While crusing the aisles we came upon Ede. with my Brownie I took a picture of Ed, who was wearing his trademark top hat, with his arm around my dad's shopuld. The look on my dad's face is priceless. I still have the photo and plan to blow it up and put it up with my other nostagia photos
Old 05-07-2007, 11:30 PM

Last photo:

That's a great story Bernard,
You wouldn't happen to have a way of posting that photo would you? I would absolutely love to see it.
Ink

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.